Methodology question

I notice you cannot access another controller method from a view, eg.

:action => "othersec/list"

is no good; the action must belong to the corresponding controller

That being the case, I might as well just have one controller, "main", with methods like "list_that" and "list_this", ie, there is not much point in defining a controller for each table -- all that is needed is class definition in models/

However "what seems to be the case" to me is not necessarily the way that it is -- I'm worried I may diverge too much from anything resembling *Best Practices* here, particularly since this means going

script/generate controller this then erasing everything but the model definition (I tried erasing those two, and creating one "main.rb" with all the classes in, but then there is an error).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? After a bit of googling I found some stuff about inheritance governing this -- does that mean I should put the methods I want globally accessible in app/controllers/application_controller.rb?

I notice you cannot access another controller method from a view, eg.

:action => “othersec/list”

is no good; the action must belong to the corresponding controller

Not sure I follow you here, you can certainly link to a different controller from a view, what is that you are trying to do?

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

Not sure I follow you here, you can certainly link to a different controller from a view, what is that you are trying to do?

Colin

That is what I am trying to do, perhaps this is a syntax problem.

If I have three controllers under app/, "aone", "atwo", "athree", all of them have a method "list", in the view for aone I want to call the list method from atwo, so I tried

:action => "atwo/list"

This is a no go -- what's the proper syntax?

Also (another sort of related syntax question), how can I use a parameter with the methods? Here's a line which works in a view:

<li class="link" onclick="<% remote_function(:update => "album_box", url => { :action => "list_albums" }) %>">

and here is one which returns "undefined local variable or method `url'", the only difference being I tried to pass a parameter via the action

<li class="link" onclick="<% remote_function(:update => "album_box", url => { :action => "list_albums(#{artist.id})" }) %>">                         ^ oh no!

I tried this a few different ways and am about to try a few more :wink: Is it just the quoting, or what?

[quote]:action => "atwo/list"[/quote]

that should should :controller => 'atwo', :action => 'list'

-Mike

that should should :controller => ‘atwo’, :action => ‘list’

-Mike

Colin Law wrote:

Not sure I follow you here, you can certainly link to a different

controller

from a view, what is that you are trying to do?

Colin

That is what I am trying to do, perhaps this is a syntax problem.

If I have three controllers under app/, “aone”, “atwo”, “athree”, all of

them have a method “list”, in the view for aone I want to call the list

method from atwo, so I tried

:action => “atwo/list”

This is a no go – what’s the proper syntax?

Also (another sort of related syntax question), how can I use a

parameter with the methods? Here’s a line which works in a view:

<li class="link" onclick="<% remote_function(:update => "album_box", url

=> { :action => “list_albums” }) %>">

and here is one which returns "undefined local variable or method

`url’", the only difference being I tried to pass a parameter via the

action

There is a clue in the error message that says that it does not like url. The reason is that it should be :url. I don’t know whether the rest of it is correct or not.

Colin