memcached vs. activerecord

I know I'm inviting the full wrath of a lot of purists but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a way to store a model (activerecord based one) straight into memcached and skip the database all together?

Basically I'd like to make a bunch of web service calls, instantiate some objects from the results (like :user, :user_interests, :user_friends, etc based on the normal Rails associations) write it to memcache and read it back

Let the thrashing begin ....

GP

It's not a guaranteed storage area. If that's fine, then I see no problem with it.

Jason

Grayson Piercee wrote:

I know I'm inviting the full wrath of a lot of purists but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there a way to store a model (activerecord based one) straight into memcached and skip the database all together?

Basically I'd like to make a bunch of web service calls, instantiate some objects from the results (like :user, :user_interests, :user_friends, etc based on the normal Rails associations) write it to memcache and read it back

So where do you get the data from? How do the models know what attributes they have? How long does this data need to persist?

=matthew

Cool, not the question is how? Do I create some non-ActiveRecord classes, load the web service results into those, put them into an array and give it to memcached?

Thanks,

GP Jason Roelofs wrote: