max-age/header problems with nginx

0 down vote favorite

I notice that in my production enviornment (where I have memcached implemented) in see a cache-control - max-age header in firebug, anytime I am looking at an index page (posts for example).

Cache-Control max-age=315360000

In my dev environment that header looks like following.

Cache-Contro private, max-age=0, must-revalidate

As far as I know I have not done anything special with my nginx.conf file to specify max age for regular content, I do have expires-max set for css, jpg etc. here is my nginx.conf file..

http://pastie.org/1167080

So why is this cache-control is being set? How can I control this cache-control, because the side effect of this is kinda bad. This is what happens.

1 - User request all_posts listing and get a list of 10 pages (paginated)

2 - User view page 1, 2 3 and the respective caches are created.

3 - User goes back to page 1 and firefox does not even make a request to the server. Normally I would expect it would reqeust and hit the cache created in step #2.

The other issue is that if a new post has been created and now the cache is refreshed and it should be at the top of page 1, the user does not get to see it..because the browser isn't hitting the server.

Please help!

Thanks

Update :

I tried setting expires_now in my index action. NO difference the max- age is still the same large value.

The Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:30:57 -0700 (PDT),

0 down vote favorite

I notice that in my production enviornment (where I have memcached implemented) in see a cache-control - max-age header in firebug, anytime I am looking at an index page (posts for example).

Cache-Control max-age=315360000

In my dev environment that header looks like following.

Cache-Contro private, max-age=0, must-revalidate

As far as I know I have not done anything special with my nginx.conf file to specify max age for regular content, I do have expires-max set for css, jpg etc. here is my nginx.conf file..

http://pastie.org/1167080

Look more closely at your regex in your pastie :

location ~* ^.+.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|css|js|swf)?([0-9]+)?$ {           expires max;           passenger_enabled on;   }

An expression is optional when followed by '?'

So your regex matches anything with at least 2 characters (.+ matches one or more characters, and the following '.' matches one character, the remaining is optional)

Happy regex hacking,

Lionel

Hmm..not a regex expert at all. The one above obviously was borrowed.

So how can I limit it to only asset files but not html or ajax content? I understand this is a rails forum..but I am hoping someone must have done this before.

Good catch!

badnaam wrote:

Hmm..not a regex expert at all. The one above obviously was borrowed.

So how can I limit it to only asset files but not html or ajax content? I understand this is a rails forum..but I am hoping someone must have done this before.

Good catch!

Best,