Manipulating attributes between database retrieval and return from finder

Is there a way to manipulate the attributes of an ActiveRecord-based model after it is retrieved from the database but before it is returned from the finder?

I have tried defining an after_find callback method but was unable to access attributes that come from the database from this method. I tried accessing them using self.an_attribute and read_attribute but both raised an attribute exception.

I am trying to execute an upgrade-in-place strategy. When I deploy the latest version of my app one of the attributes on every existing record of a particular table will no longer be usable until converted to a new format. Rather than take the app down for 12 hours to upgrade the existing data I thought it could be upgraded on-access.

Evan

Is there a way to manipulate the attributes of an ActiveRecord-based model after it is retrieved from the database but before it is returned from the finder?

I have tried defining an after_find callback method but was unable to access attributes that come from the database from this method. I tried accessing them using self.an_attribute and read_attribute but both raised an attribute exception.

Can you show exactly what you did and exactly what happened ? I can't imagine why this wouldn't work.

Fred

I think that if you implemented after_find and did find all that it would have to run through the whole set, so would presumably take 12 hours. Maybe you do not do a find all, or even a find many, in which case it should be able to work.

I am trying to execute an upgrade-in-place strategy. When I deploy the latest version of my app one of the attributes on every existing record of a particular table will no longer be usable until converted to a new format. Rather than take the app down for 12 hours to upgrade the existing data I thought it could be upgraded on-access.

An alternative might be to do the test/upgrade in the access method(s) for whatever attribute(s) are affected.

Colin