make a system call and proceed without waiting for result?

This is probably a general ruby question: in one of my models i need to make loads (up to 600 or so) of system calls with the curl command. It's a fire-and-forget kind of deal - i don't care, at that particular moment, whether the calls were successful or not and i certainly don't want to keep the user waiting for the html responses to come back.

Is it possible, with a call to 'system' (or some other method) to carry on without waiting for the results?

This is probably a general ruby question: in one of my models i need to make loads (up to 600 or so) of system calls with the curl command. It's a fire-and-forget kind of deal - i don't care, at that particular moment, whether the calls were successful or not and i certainly don't want to keep the user waiting for the html responses to come back.

Is it possible, with a call to 'system' (or some other method) to carry on without waiting for the results?

Even simpler. Use ruby 'fork' method. Example:

#show time now puts Time.now fork do   #long running process `sleep 20;curl -O www.somesite.com/bigfile.tgz` end #this time is nearly same as when we started, no delay puts Time.now

blasterpal wrote:

Even simpler. Use ruby 'fork' method. Example:

#show time now puts Time.now fork do   #long running process `sleep 20;curl -O www.somesite.com/bigfile.tgz` end #this time is nearly same as when we started, no delay puts Time.now

Great, thanks guys!