link_to download file from path over public

If you're using Capistrano, I suggest you place your files in:

/path/to/your/app/shared/public/files/

And then create an after_symlink deployment task to symlink /path/to/your/app/current/public/files/ to your shared files directory. The RailsMachine gem does this so look there if you need the exact code.

You can then reach them in the browser at, say, http://your.app/files/your_file.txt

In your controller, you can reach them with, say, send_file 'public/files/your_file.txt'.

Regards, Andy Stewart

Ok but if i symlink to another directory over the public, wont other users that arent loged in be able to download these files ?

Yes they will. I didn't realise that you wanted to restrict access.

or should i delete the symlink when logout.. ?

That's messy. Here's a better way to do it:

- Make the directory app/shared/private/ on your server. It should sit beside the existing app/shared/public/. Make a directory files/ inside it and stick your files in there.

- Using Capistrano symlink your app/current/private/ to the shared one. For example, add this to your deploy/config.rb:

# Automatically symlink these directories from current/private to shared/private. set :app_private_symlinks, %w{ files }

desc "Link up any private directories."    task :symlink_private, :roles => [:app, :web] do      if app_private_symlinks        app_private_symlinks.each { |link| run "ln -nfs #{shared_path}/private/#{link} #{current_path}/private/#{link}" }      end end

desc "Creates additional symlinks." task :after_symlink, :roles => [:app, :web] do    symlink_private end

- In your action, you can do something like:

if @user.logged_in? # or however you determine whether somebody is logged into your app    send_file 'private/files/your_file.txt' end

It maybe sounds litle bit newbe, im not very skilled yet...

Hey, don't worry about it. Nor am I :slight_smile:

Regards, Andy Stewart