Article:
Lift homepage:

From the Lift homepage : "[…] lift code is as clean and brief as Rails […]"

followed by these examples :

User.find(ByField(User.email, ))
User.find(ByField(User.id, 20))

Hum, does it look as clean and brief than:

User.find_by_email User.find 20

to you? Next thing: “the LoC for lift tests is about 60% compared to Rails because there’s no need to write tests for type-related issues”

I don’t think this statement is accurate. I’ve never coded any test to check for type-related issues. Either the code works as intended or not. Why should anyone care if it’s because of a mistake in an algorithm, a typo in a value or an exception caused by an unitialised variable? We are not interested in the source of the error (with the exception of the content of the test output on failure which should be as detailed as possible).

So-called Rails-like frameworks all miss the same thing in my experience: the increased readability and efficiency brought by meta-programming… Funny their developpers don’t get it and still present their frameworks as Rails-wannabees.

Lionel.

From the Lift homepage :

/"[...] lift/ code is as clean and brief as Rails [...]"

followed by these examples :

User.find(ByField(User.email, "f...@bar.com")) User.find(ByField(User.id, 20))

Hum, does it look as clean and brief than:

User.find_by_email "f...@bar.com"

Yep. Rails saves you 15 characters (did I count that right?) It also gets ugly when: User.find_all_by_state_and_city_and_gender("MA", "Boston", "M") Because one loses the association between the field and the parameter.

User.find 20

User.find(20) is also a valid construct in lift.

to you?

Next thing: "the LoC for /lift/ tests is about 60% compared to Rails because there's no need to write tests for type-related issues"

I don't think this statement is accurate. I've never coded any test to check for type-related issues. Either the code works as intended or not. Why should anyone care if it's because of a mistake in an algorithm, a typo in a value or an exception caused by an unitialised variable?

Because in a strongly typed language, the compiler takes care of finding those defects and there's no reason for a human to do the work when the computer will.

So-called Rails-like frameworks all miss the same thing in my experience: the increased readability and efficiency brought by meta-programming... Funny their developpers don't get it and still present their frameworks as Rails-wannabees.

Actually, lift is not a Rails wannabee. It's a framework that borrows a bunch of Rails' very good ideas, borrows a bunch of Erlyweb's very good ideas, borrows a bunch of TurboGears' very good ideas, borrows a bunch of Seaside's very good ideas, etc. However the post was based on the real-world example of migrating a Rails app to lift.