jquery change function

this snippet which follows another code block under $(document).ready(function () { isn’t working, the previous block works, but not this one

$(‘#listing_free_shipping’).change(function(e) { if (e.listing_free_shipping.attr(‘checked’)) { $(“#listing_shipping_cost”).toggle( “blind” ); } else { $(“#listing_shipping_cost”).show(); } })

Just a couple of notes. The likely reason you have not had any offers of help with these questions is that it is absolutely nothing to do with Ruby or Rails, except for the fact that if you are finding that document ready works sometimes but not others then this is likely due to the fact that document ready is not compatible with turbolinks (if you are using that). Google will explain what to do about it.

The other point I would make is that javascript should not normally be included in the page, it should be in separate assets files.

Colin

Commenting out turbolinks in my gemfile didn’t help Also, how do i move my javascript to separate assets files

Commenting out turbolinks in my gemfile didn't help

Assuming that you also did bundle install then it is not that problem, so it is likely just a problem with the javascript. You probably need to research how to debug js. Start by sprinkling assert statements through the code. But as I said debugging js is not what this list is for.

Also, how do i move my javascript to separate assets files

Do you mean you don't know how to code js so that it resides in separate files (which is not a ROR issue) or you specifically don't know how to use the rails assets. If the latter then [1] should help.

Note that the fact that you have included the js in the web page is not likely to be the cause of your problem, it should work there but it is considered poor practice.

Colin

[1] The Asset Pipeline — Ruby on Rails Guides

both