joining across databases in a find statement with include (legacy db)

Hi,

I have a legacy database 'old' and a new database 'new' which rails uses. I set up models using old with establish_connection(old), and this works well, except for include:

class OldModel < ActiveRecord::Base   establish_connection(old) end

class NewModel < ActiveRecord::Base   has_one :old_model end

a = OldModel.find :first NewModel.find(:all, :include => :old_model)

will give an error like

Mysql::Error: Table 'new_db.old_models' doesn't exist: SELECT ... FROM new_models LEFT OUTER JOIN old_models ON ... WHERE ...

Obviously a performance hit without the join. MySQL does support joins you specify the database first (ex old_db.old_models). I can hack it by doing the join manually but that doesn't sound like the rails way. Any ideas?

-Andrew Roth

Good point. But at least it could try putting "database." when it detects different connections on the chance they will join. A parameter to has_many, :join_across_dbs => true could work too, but I'm not sure I'm ready to start hacking Active Record!

Do people really put lots of tables in one database? Don't tables start to get prefixed, like we have accountadmin_viewer, accountadmin_access, etc. plus form_elements, form_questions, ... and a bunch more. Isn't it DRY - or at least good practice - to start making different databases after a few hundred of these tables?

-Andrew

Just wanted to follow up on this. I actually got it working by simply pretending the table name was legacy_db.table! Easily done with set_table_name, or if you have a bunch of models for the legacy db, something like

class LegacyBase < ActiveRecord::Base   def self.pluralize_table_names     false # our legacy db uses singular table names   end

def self.db_name     "legacy_db"   end

def self.table_name_prefix     self.db_name + "."   end

establish_connection(self.db_name) end

class OldModel < LegacyBase   ... end

-Andrew Roth