JIRA anyone?

I’m trying to evaluate what use I can make of JIRA with Rails/Ruby and am getting frustrated.

The jira4r gem will install but the soap4r gem won’t load.

literally: ‘irb -r soap4r’ returns :cannot load such file…

I also set this up in a Gemfile and tried to run this from the rails console: /Users/TAllison/projects/cs_jira/vendor/cache/ruby/1.9.1/gems/soap4r-1.5.8/lib/xsd/charset.rb:13: warning: variable $KCODE is no longer effective /Users/TAllison/projects/cs_jira/vendor/cache/ruby/1.9.1/gems/soap4r-1.5.8/lib/xsd/iconvcharset.rb:9:in <top (required)>': iconv will be deprecated in the future, use String#encode instead. /Users/TAllison/projects/cs_jira/vendor/cache/ruby/1.9.1/gems/soap4r-1.5.8/lib/xsd/xmlparser.rb:74:in <top (required)>‘: XML processor module not found. (RuntimeError) from /Users/TAllison/projects/cs_jira/vendor/cache/ruby/1.9.1/gems/soap4r-1.5.8/lib/soap/parser.rb:9:in `require’

I can’t any updates to this since ~2010. Which leads me to believe that this entire set of libraries is just a bunch of dead wood. Software isn’t updated. No traffic on the mailing lists.

So my next question is – does anyone use JIRA API with Ruby/Rails and if so – how? I’m really surprised at the complete lack of mention in the last 2 years and am wondering if I made a mistake picking Jira up as a potential solution for my business.

Any experiences?

Tom Allison wrote in post #1049289:

So my next question is -- does anyone use JIRA API with Ruby/Rails and if so -- how?

I'm guessing, not very many. I attend the Ruby user's group whenever I can. I've not seen or heard of anyone using JIRA with Rails. Most prefer a more "agile" project management tool such as PivotalTracker, Lighthouse or similar. Each of these have REST based APIs and are often integrated with Rails.

I'm really surprised at the complete lack of mention in the last 2 years and am wondering if I made a mistake picking Jira up as a potential solution for my business.

I'm not surprised about this. JIRA is an "Enterprisy" project management tool. While Ruby on Rails is perhaps gaining some ground in the enterprise space it's not something necessarily driven by the core Rubyists.

Rails is well known to be an "opinionated" framework. And SOAP lost that battle years ago to REST. So I'm not surprised to see little mention, or support, of a SOAP based API no matter what's sitting on the other side of it.

I'm not saying that your choice of JIRA was a mistake. I've not evaluated the software, mostly because my first glance at it didn't appeal me. And, finding out now that its API is based on SOAP just lowered my interest even further.

I did evaluate a lot of project management/tracking solutions and found only one that I was actually happy with, which is PivotalTracker. That's not to say it's the solution for everyone though.

As for helping you with your soap4r/JIRA integration problem. I'm not surprised your having trouble, but I have no idea how to help you with that. I do wish you luck in fining a solution.

Greenhopper is a Jira plugin for Scrum teams - Pivotal Tracker, Rally and others get better reviews from users I have heard from.

Where I work we do a lot of Jira automation using the SOAP listener, both with ruby and java - I have used jira4r (I posted a gemspec for it on the Atlassian site if I am remembering correctly) - I think the error you are getting means you do not have a supported XML processor installed ...

All the gem does is if I remember correctly is store the session key returned from login in an instance variable and then add that parameter to every outgoing request that is made - it is pretty tiny code-wise.

Max

Hi Tom,

I work for Atlassian and have been using the following:

https://github.com/trineo/jira-ruby/

Recently updated, built against JIRA 5.0 REST API, and maintained by an Atlassian Expert.

Cheers,

Nick

Thanks all for the feedback. Good information! Now a few comments on where I am today:

Jira 5.0 does have some nice REST API features that I’m working with. Not sure it has everything I need but it seems that previous versions are a little light on REST support. Currently stuck in the cloud and trying to figure out how to get to a version 5.0 sooner.

JIRA was not exactly my choice - it was given to me as an Enterprisy solution. I’m also not using it as an Agile development tool at all. I’m using it as the basis for a Customer Service software platform. Not sure that it’s the best option in the world, but it is the option on my plate today. I am interested to hear of any others people have experience with - I’m all for “better”.

I think there is a lot that needs to be extended to meet my needs. I just hope I can get there with this set of tools.