Javascript is now a first-class code citizen - Really?!

> Rails doesn't really ship with any testing framework. It defaults to what's > in Ruby core, which is Test/Unit in 1.8 and MiniTest in 1.9.

* Rails ships with Ruby test generators (because testing is good) * Rails ships with Javascript/Coffeescript generators * There's no Javascript testing framework in Ruby core, nor Rails. (testing is only good for Ruby code?)

I wasn't trying to say that Rails shouldn't encourage Javascript testing. But the fact that Rails does not ship a testing framework and, out of the box, encourages you to use the testing framework that is already on your machine should be noted. I can't recall ever seeing 3000+ word blog posts on getting Test/Unit to work with Rails as I have for other testing frameworks.

Ruby core may never include a Javascript testing framework but maybe this shouldn't be decided by a bunch of +1's on a thread right now. Since some of these features/tools are new to Rails maybe the best thing to do (as others have noted) is to see how the JS testing frameworks adapt and evolve before forming an opinion?

+1 any damn thing.

+1 to be accepting of change down the road.

We won't really know and understand the impact of having a default JS test apparatus until its put in there and the feedback comes back in from production people over the course of a year or two.

I agree with Rodrigo. It's not about choosing a winner, but rather encouraging JS testing and helping people get started.

+1