javascript help

Hi,   I have a lot of trouble finding information about using javascript with ror, which is the reason for this second question on a similar topic. Any way, right now I have a bunch of rhtml files with links in them that you can navigate through. For example, one file has these links under the finance category:

Tax Bills Banks etc...

The user can click on Bills for example and he will get a view of more links that fall under the category of Bills:

Non-Recurring Bills Recurring Bills

Until the user gets to say a link for Gas and Electric Bills, which would link to the list view for the GEBill model that I have. I should mention that that these links are not part of any models that I've created. They are just simple rhtml files with a bunch of <% link_to ..%> lines.

My problem is how can I make it so that the user can add a category. And then within that new category, make more categories...

For example, the user should be able to add a link for Properties to the first list of links. Then once the user clicks on that he can add more links within the Properties.

Is this where prototype/script.aculo.us libraries come in? Does anybody know of any good tutorials that could perhaps start me off on the right track to solving this problem?

Thanks in advance.