Iterate through a table record

Hello...I've searched before posting but can't find anything. New and need help. I want to iterate through some fields in my database table and populate a html table with their values.

As an example, lets say I have a table (named race) that holds information on a relay race. I have fields leg1, leg2...leg36 that hold the miles per leg. I want to be able to run through a loop from 1 to 36 and displays all the legs. I thought this would work:

<b>Name:</b>   <%=h @race.name %> .....

<tr> <% 36.times do |p| %>      <td>Leg <%= @race.leg+p %></td> <% end %> </tr>

But I can't combine @race.leg and p. Is there a way to increment @race.leg so I don't have to write @race.leg1 ...@race.leg36 ?

Any help appreciate - thanks! ...Bill

Can you change the database structure? I think it would make more sense to have a “legs” table in this case. Then you could lookup all legs of a given race and iterate through them with @legs.each

So long Lennart Koopmann

Lennart Koopmann wrote:

A legs table seems more flexible, however:

<tr> <% (1..36).each do |p| %>      <td>Leg <%= @race.send(('leg' + p).to_sym) %></td> <% end %> </tr>

Harold wrote:

A legs table seems more flexible, however:

<tr> <% (1..36).each do |p| %>      <td>Leg <%= @race.send(('leg' + p).to_sym) %></td> <% end %> </tr>

On Nov 21, 5:59�pm, Bill McGuire <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Harold...worked just like I wanted. The only thing I had to do was add '.to_s' after 'p'. Thanks !