Issue with upgrading to 2.0 on Leopard? Or something else?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I finally decided to upgrade to Rails 2.0 (running Leopard and previously at rails 1.2.6) so I could start using some of the great new features. I ran the usual "sudo gem install rails --include-dependencies" to upgrade and now my development environment is all out of whack. I suspected MySQL, but I've already made sure I was using the latest MySQL gem and my MySQL server is running fine. Is there something I'm missing? Here's the error (and sorry if this is a n00b question - I'm just starting out with rails, but I love it!) I get when I load localhost:3000 into my browser and try to show the info about the application's environment:

Mysql::Error in Rails/infoController#properties

And here's the trace:

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:471:in `real_connect' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:471:in `connect' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:165:in `initialize' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:88:in `new' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:88:in `mysql_connection' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:291:in `send' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:291:in `connection=' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:259:in `retrieve_connection' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:78:in `connection' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.1/lib/active_record/ query_cache.rb:8:in `cache' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.1/lib/action_controller/ caching.rb:677:in `perform_action' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.1/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:524:in `send' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.1/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:524:in `process_without_filters' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.1/lib/action_controller/ filters.rb:685:in `process_without_session_management_support' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.1/lib/action_controller/ session_management.rb:123:in `process' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-2.0.1/lib/action_controller/ base.rb:388:in `process' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:489:in `load' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:489:in `load' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:489:in `load' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.1/lib/commands/servers/ mongrel.rb:64 /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:496:in `require' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.0.1/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:496:in `require' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.0.1/lib/commands/server.rb:39

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Why are you using 'gem install' when you want to update a gem? Run 'gem help commands' or 'gem help update'.

Try removing the gem if the update fails and reinstall.

Good point. I wasn't really thinking (it was early in the morning) and I just went by the instructions on the rubyonrails.org blog post to run gem install...

Should I just delete the "rails-2.0.1" gem or all the related "activerecord" "actionmailer" and anything else labeled 2.0.1?

Thanks for the help!

I used the install command, following the instructions at http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/12/7/rails-2-0-it-s-done and it worked just fine. Because I first updated to gem 0.9.x I was given the “tip” that you no longer need to “-y” on the install to get all the dependencies, so on subsequent upgrades (other machines) I’ve taken that to heart and dropped it. Several install/upgrade processes have gone flawlessly.

So how do I upgrade?

If you want to move your application to Rails 2.0, you should first move it to Rails 1.2.6. That’ll include deprecation warnings for most everything we yanked out in 2.0. So if your application runs fine on 1.2.6 with no deprecation warnings, there’s a good chance that it’ll run straight up on 2.0. Of course, if you’re using, say, pagination, you’ll need to install the classic_pagination plugin. If you’re using Oracle, you’ll need to install the activerecord-oracle-adapter gem. And so on and so forth for all the extractions.

So how do I install?

To install through gems, do:

gem install rails -y

…if you’re having trouble with that (gem not found), just grab gems from our own repository in the meanwhile:

gem install rails -y --source [http://gems.rubyonrails.org](http://gems.rubyonrails.org)