Is anyone still using gettext?

For the last few months I've been using "fast_gettext" + "gettext_i18n_rails" for i18n in my Rails 3 application. While it mostly works, there's always been a problem with extracting untranslated strings from the code. As far as I know, the original gettext toolchain does not support Ruby. There's also the "gettext" gem but it hasn't been updated on GitHub since August 2010 and seems to be unmaintained now. Even though it does not work with Rails 3 and newer RubyGems without patching (and I had to fork it and fix it), "gettext_i18n_rails"'s README says that one should use it for extracting strings for translation.

All this makes me think that I'm missing something obvious. Has everyone abandoned gettext/fast_gettext and is using Rails' builtin i18n mechanism? If not, what tool do you use to extract translations?

Hi !

I'm also very interested in the same issue. We are using the same environment, but gettext gem seems to be no longer maintained, so we are wondering how do people are extracting strings for translations.

Regards!