intranet applications

Hello,

I am getting ready to start building an intranet for a small company i work for. I have a question about the general architecture of such a thing. the intranet itself will contain multiple applications for various departments. what i am trying to figure out is if i should start by making each application as a seperate rails project or attempt to design it from the top down, all in one project. I have a feeling i am not being very clear here so please feel free to ask questions, also alot of details are murky as i am just starting this.

Hello,

I am getting ready to start building an intranet for a small company i work for. I have a question about the general architecture of such a thing. the intranet itself will contain multiple applications for various departments. what i am trying to figure out is if i should start by making each application as a seperate rails project or attempt to design it from the top down, all in one project. I have a feeling i am not being very clear here so please feel free to ask questions, also alot of details are murky as i am just starting this.

Broadly speaking I'm on the side of multiple smaller rails apps than one huge one. Easier to write, easier to maintain. The answer also depends to an extent on what levels of interaction you need between the apps.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

On Oct 28, 7:51�pm, Eric Sheris <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Broadly speaking I'm on the side of multiple smaller rails apps than one huge one. Easier to write, easier to maintain. The answer also depends to an extent on what levels of interaction you need between the apps.

Fred

Would you just link them together with generic html links into there respective controllers? or is there a way to link them together with rails?

my generic plan atm is to have a main page with our logo and a navigation bar for each department, then under that a feed aggrigator with industry news in it.

logo        finance hr it sales etc

industry feed industry feed local weather

asci doesn't do many things justice

each department listed above will have a dropdown menu with a few items in it that would be the applications.

this part will also obviously be a rails app

Frederick Cheung wrote:

On Oct 28, 7:51�pm, Eric Sheris <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

Fred

Would you just link them together with generic html links into there respective controllers? or is there a way to link them together with rails?

pretty much just generic stuff.

Fred

Eric Sheris wrote:

Hello,

I would do one app and write each sub-application as a plugin. That will make the whole thing very re-usable.