interesting problem

Hi there everybody,

I am a few weeks into my first ROR project and have across a problem I was hoping someone could offer some help with. I have a database that stores restaurants and I am keeping the delivery hours for each day in the table.

Right now I have the following time fields in my restaurant table for the information:

mon_open, mon_close, tue_open, tue_close…..sun_open,sun_close

Right now in my restaurant view I have 14 time_select controls like the following to get the information when a new restaurant is created:

<label for="restaurant_tue_open">Open:</label>                       <%= f.time_select :mon_open, :minute_step => 15, :twelve_hour => true, :default => { :hour => 13, :minute => 0 } %>

<label for="restaurant_mon_close">Close:</label>                       <%= f.time_select :tue_close, :minute_step => 15, :twelve_hour => true, :default => { :hour => 23, :minute => 0 } %>

Now so far everything works fine and there are no problems. However I don’t like having 14 time drop downs on the page. What I would like to do is have two time_selects(one for the opening hour and one for the closing hour) with seven check boxes next to it(one for each day of the week). That way if the delivery hours are the same everyday the user can just select all the check boxes. If there are different hours for lets say the weekend. I will have a “add hours” link they can click that will use ajax to add another two time_select drop downs along with the check boxes.

Now I have no problem with the ajax part but I cannot figure out the best way to communicate the information back to the controller. I thought maybe something along the lines of having 14 hidden time_selects mapped directly to the restaurant attributes and then when someone selects a checkbox I could use JavaScript to fill in the value.

Something along the lines of:

Hidden: <div style="display: none">           <%= f.time_select :mon_open, :minute_step => 15, :twelve_hour => true, :default => { :hour => 13, :minute => 0 } %>           <%= f.time_select :mon_close, :minute_step => 15, :twelve_hour => true, :default => { :hour => 23, :minute => 0 } %>         </div>

Then:

Open:                       <%= time_select "Day1", "Day1", :minute_step => 15, :twelve_hour => true, :default => { :hour => 13, :minute => 0 } %>

<%= check_box_tag "Mon", "Mon", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Mon','Day1' )"} %><b>Mon</b>                     <%= check_box_tag "Tue", "Tue", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Tue','Day1' )"} %><b>Tue</b>                     <%= check_box_tag "Wed", "Wed", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Wed','Day1' )"} %><b>Wed</b>                     <%= check_box_tag "Thu", "Thu", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Thu','Day1' )"} %><b>Thu</b>                     <%= check_box_tag "Fri", "Fri", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Fri','Day1' )"} %><b>Fri</b>                     <%= check_box_tag "Sat", "Sat", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Sat','Day1' )"} %><b>Sat</b>                     <%= check_box_tag "Sun", "Sun", false, {:onchange => "daySelected('Sun','Day1' )"} %><b>Sun</b>

<tr>                        <div id="hours">                        </div>                      </tr>

<%= link_to_function "Add Hours" do |page|                      page.insert_html :bottom, :hours, :partial =>'hours'                      end %>

</tr>

And some javascript:

function daySelected(whichButton,whichTime) {

if(whichButton == 'Mon')

// set the hidden control for mon with the value from whichTime

}

I played around for quite a while and just cannot get it to work. The first problem I am having is trying to get the correct time value associated with the selected day. The id’s of the time_selects are very strange. In any case would like to know if there is a better/easier approach to what I am trying to do.

Thanks, steve