Installing Gems

Hi All

Getting stuck at the first step with gems. I guess a tough start but hoping for a easy future.

So here I am.

I did install Gems in the separate /export directory of my Red Hat system.

ruby setup.rb --prefix=/export --destdir=/export

Now trying to install rails and its dependencies I see this error. Possibly becoz I am not installing it in the central area as I our admin policies dont allow it do.

gem install rails /export/bin/gem:8:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)         from /export/bin/gem:8

Thanks and excuse me if this sounds too silly :slight_smile: -Abhi

Hi All

Getting stuck at the first step with gems. I guess a tough start but hoping for a easy future.

So here I am.

I did install Gems in the separate /export directory of my Red Hat system.

You might need to tell ruby to look in that folder eg by passing ruby - I/export/wherever/its/put/those/files

Fred

Hi Fred

Thanks for a quick reply. However I am unable to follow up. May be becoz I am platform ignorant till now.

So you want me to pass the ruby -I/export/wherever/its/put/those/ files but where exactly ?

Thanks again for your patience. -Abhi

Hi Fred

Thanks for a quick reply. However I am unable to follow up. May be becoz I am platform ignorant till now.

So you want me to pass the ruby -I/export/wherever/its/put/those/ files but where exactly ?

I don't know where those files got installed :slight_smile: once you've worked out what the -I should be you can use RUBY_OPT
environment variable to have it added automatically if my memory is
correct.

Fred

Thanks .. got the hook of it now..

Works fine..

The ENV variable is RUBYOPT.

Cheers, -Abhi