Installation difficulites

I'm a novice in these lands, hence the possibly rudimentary inquiry...

I'm a designer/AS3 developer and am hoping to delve into Ruby on Rails on the suggestion of a friend. Have been trying to get it installed and am running into an error that perplexes me.

I've been able to get ruby and rubygems installed on OSX 10.5.7 following the directions on Dan Benjamin, but in trying to install rails ran into:

FW-W874815VXA9-3:src gensler$ cd rubygems-0.9.2 FW-W874815VXA9-3:rubygems-0.9.2 gensler$ sudo /usr/local/bin/ruby setup.rb sudo: /usr/local/bin/ruby: command not found

One thing, Ruby is not in /usr/local/bin but in /usr/bin. If your scripts require ruby to be in /usr/local/bin you can do this

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/ruby /usr/local/bin/ruby

And be done with it.

What I have done is to install XAMPP on my Mac, and remember to install the Dev tools also (there are 2 download links).

then install passenger (sudo gem install passenger)

Add the config passenger tells youti paste in, to /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/etc/httpd.conf

And now your done (pretty much).

Trausti

One thing, Ruby is not in /usr/local/bin but in /usr/bin.

The stock ruby is, but not the version installed via the hivelogic instructions (at least not if everything has gone to plan)

/usr/local/bin/ruby: command not found is not a problem with your path: you provided an absolute path so sounds like the file is genuinely not there. Were there any other earlier errors that you just skipped over

Also there is an updated version of those instructions at Dan Benjamin (but it might not be very different)

Fred