input '>' character into html builder array

I'm using an html calendar builder and am getting a compile error when trying to input a close to some ruby code into the cell_input: cell_text << "%>", it seems that it is choking on the closing > sign. Is there any way to escape this?

I could really use some help here, not sure how to search for information on this. Thanks. This is the line that I am having issues with:

cell_text << "%>"

This is the error output:

ActionView::TemplateError (compile error syntax error, unexpected $undefined, expecting kEND ...<< ").to_s); _erbout.concat "\"\n \n \n\n\n [cell_text,...                               ^ syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting ')') on line #37 of users/ _calendar_large_data.rhtml: 34: 35: cell_text << "<%= " 36: cell_text << "javascript_tag \"new Popup('test_popup_#{@day}', 'test_popup_link_#{@day}',{position:'25%,30%', trigger:'click', modal:true})\"" 37: cell_text << "%>" 38: 39: 40:

I was having a similar compile issue with inputting double quotes into the cell_text array and was able to use \ to avoid any problems:

cell_text << "<div id=\"test_popup_#{@day}\" class=\"cal_popup\" style= \"display:none\">"

I'm using an html calendar builder and am getting a compile error when trying to input a close to some ruby code into the cell_input: cell_text << "%>", it seems that it is choking on the closing > sign. Is there any way to escape this?

I could really use some help here, not sure how to search for information on this. Thanks. This is the line that I am having issues with:

cell_text << "%>"

<% and %> are special in erb. You need to use <%% and %%> to include
literal <% and %> Or avoid the whole lot by putting it in a helper.

Fred