Inheritance alternative

I have to objects with common functionalities and a lot of difference. So I want that each have his own table but inherit the common functionalities from a parent class. How can I do this in Rails ?

I have to objects with common functionalities and a lot of difference. So I want that each have his own table but inherit the common functionalities from a parent class. How can I do this in Rails ?

Polymorphic association might be the way to go...

See the docs for more...

How about just creating your own module and including that in your classes?

# lib/common_methods.rb

module CommonMethods   def all_get_this_method     ...   end end

app/models/company.rb

require 'common_methods' class Company < Active::Record::Base   include Commonmethods   ... end

config/application.rb

module Yourapp   class Application < Rails::Application     config.autoload_paths += %W(#{config.root}/lib)     ...

Matias Fierro wrote in post #959653:

class GenericModel < ActiveRecord::Base   self.abstract_class = true

# define all the 'common' methods you want in this class   # (including the default behaviors for common methods)   # I use methods in this class for providing all my cache   # fragment management functionality, rendering model instances   # to PDFs, etc, etc end

class Person < GenericModel   # person-specific methods, and overrides of common methods   # from GenericModel end

class Address < GenericModel   # address-specific methods, and overrides of common methods   # from GenericModel end

It sounds like you may want to use Multiple Table Inheritance in this case. I was looking to set up something similar a while back and came across this article:

Hope that helps you out!