Includes (eager loads) of associations that includes joins fails

When an association has joins (either to filter the association or calculate something), it cannot be eager loaded with includes. The joins command seems to be omitted and I get an error saying the table doesn’t exist cause it didn’t the join when eager loading.

Example:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base
  has_many :
  purchases
# Perform joins and attach some calculations to the User object
  scope :add_stats, -> { group("users.id").joins(:purchases).select("users.*, SUM(purchases.price) AS total_purchases") }
end

class Purchase < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to :user
end

The add_stats scope represents heavy calculations attached to the User objects. So if I want to get all User objects with stats, I just write User.all.add_stats.

So far so good. Now I want to fetch some Purchase objects and eager load the Users with stats as well. I’ve tried this:

belongs_to :user, -> { add_stats }

But then when Rails eager load the users, it seems to remove.group("user.id").joins(:purchases) and complain on purchases.price - “purchases table unknown”. So the .select() is the only thing preserved from the scope.

How do I apply a scope (with working .group().joins()) to the eager load query of all included belongs_to :user objects?