in_place_edit_for - non clickable when value is blank

check this out:

maybe write something similar yourself (= fix that script with updated code from the plugin) or try to set your default-values to something like "...".

what's your error trace?

try overriding it like that (i just took the code from github and added an if-clause):

def in_place_edit_for(object, attribute, options = {})     define_method("set_#{object}_#{attribute}") do       @item = object.to_s.camelize.constantize.find(params[:id])       # adjust the following if-clause to your needs       if params[:value].blank?         params[:value] = "..."       end       @item.update_attribute(attribute, params[:value])       render :text => @item.send(attribute).to_s     end   end

MaD wrote:

try overriding it like that (i just took the code from github and added an if-clause):

def in_place_edit_for(object, attribute, options = {})     define_method("set_#{object}_#{attribute}") do       @item = object.to_s.camelize.constantize.find(params[:id])       # adjust the following if-clause to your needs       if params[:value].blank?         params[:value] = "..."       end       @item.update_attribute(attribute, params[:value])       render :text => @item.send(attribute).to_s     end   end

Thanks for the response, can you tell me how I'd use the above code? I've experimented by creating a file called 'extensions.rb' within the lib folder, the doing: require 'extensions' within environment rb. I've tried the method on it's own, followed by placing it within a class wrapper and keep getting errors for 'wrong number of arguments'. My extensions.rb currently looks like this:

[code]class Extensions

ActionController::Macros::InPlaceEditing::ClassMethods.class_eval do     def in_place_edit_for(object, attribute)         define_method("set_#{object}_#{attribute}") do           @item = object.to_s.camelize.constantize.find(params[:id])           # adjust the following if-clause to your needs           if params[:value].blank?             params[:value] = "..."           end           @item.update_attribute(attribute, params[:value])           render :text => @item.send(attribute).to_s         end       end   end

end[/code]

Thanks for any help