Implementing a user activity log with STI. (?)

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track? I think this isn't quite right:

I want to implement an activity log for users. It'll show them a list of the objects they've viewed. I have, of course, many types of objects in the Rails program.

I've thought that I'd make a log_entries table which would have

I'd then like to be able to retrieve all of the viewed objects, something along the lines:

user.log_entries.map{|e| e.viewed_object}

And I could display links to them, like:

link_to obj.to_s, obj

...so, this is a form of STI, but I'm not sure if Rails handles this kind. I'm also not sure if this is the best way to implement this kind of feature.

Thanks for any feedback!

Hi Robb,

I ended up writing a very crude solution and then stopped that to revamp later. I DO believe you are on the right track though. The only part that I havent figured out though is writing neat code for the actual message or sentence the user will read. Like,

You edited the task - Change tyres on car Robb completed the task - Change tyres on car

These sentences will vary depending on the action, object and user. To generate them using a function is, at least in my case, not possible. Im hard coding them right now.

Read up on polymorphic relationships. Its basically what you have suggested above, only, Rails makes it a bit easier.

Good luck! And DO update this post with your efforts.

Thanks, Ram. Yep, I realized that polymorphic associations is exactly what I was talking about. In my case, all the log info is private and per-user. Also, the only action is "view", so I have a simpler case than you. I just need to generate a list like,

Today   Document 452.242   Document 551.432

Yesterday   Document 43.234   Chapter 452

Now, in your case, I wouldn't worry at *all* about how to generate the text. This is an issue for the presentation layer. I'd just be concerned with making sure I have all the relevant objects so that the various templates can render the output appropriately: the currently logged in user, a list of log entries, each of which has a reference to the relevant object, the method invoked, and the user who did it.

I suggest checking out the "Command" design pattern. It kind of sounds like what you're doing.

- Robb

Nice. Went through a wiki article on Command Pattern. Very much the design i need. Will try to do that when I get back to the activity log :). Thanks.

Hi, you guyes are doing what I want to implement soon. So I had some thoughts about an activity log. Pretty sure polymorphic associations are a good choice. To keep the rest clean from logging code and the logging flexible, I thought about using an observer, like

class ActivityObserver < ActiveRecord::Observer   observe :model_2_observe_01, model_2_observe_2 #, ...

def after_save(record)     activity = Activity.new(record)     activity.save   end end

Should do it. I just wonder if Rails ensures ACID behavoir for observers, anyone knows?

Cheers, Chris