ignoring :limit on string field migrations for postgresql

By default, if a limit is not set on string fields in a migration, the limit is set to 255. In postgresql, varchar fields can vary without having a limit. Is it possible to write migrations that will keep the varchar varying without a default limit set?

Thanks, Nick

Try specifying :default => nil

:default => nil didn't work. I had already tried :limit => nil and that didn't work either. I also tried :limit => nil, :default => nil. Still no luck, the varchar length is still being set at 255. I may just have to write all of my varchar fields as sql within the migration files instead of using ruby code, but I am hoping to avoid that.

I might try to find the migration code and see if it is possible to add fix, but I don't know if this wold be considered a bug or not and I haven't gotten my feet wet in rails src code yet.

Nick

Ryan Bigg wrote:

Nick Berveiler wrote:

I might try to find the migration code and see if it is possible to add a :limit => :ignore param or something like that and submit it as a bug fix, but I don't know if this wold be considered a bug or not and I haven't gotten my feet wet in rails src code yet.

I put this in an initializer:

<pre> module ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters

class PostgreSQLAdapter < AbstractAdapter

# Monkey patched to remove varchar limit of 255 that Rails set, since     # it makes no performance difference in Postgres.     def native_database_types #:nodoc:       {         :primary_key => "serial primary key",         :string => { :name => "character varying" },         :text => { :name => "text" },         :integer => { :name => "integer" },         :float => { :name => "float" },         :decimal => { :name => "decimal" },         :datetime => { :name => "timestamp" },         :timestamp => { :name => "timestamp" },         :time => { :name => "time" },         :date => { :name => "date" },         :binary => { :name => "bytea" },         :boolean => { :name => "boolean" }       }     end

end

end </pre>