i need some help

hi, i am new to the ruby on rails.

i am trying to create one web application using ror, i created directory structure and started webrick server, after the when go for http://127.0.0.1:3000/, it gives the home page, after that i created one controller and rhtml file regarding that controller. but when i want to access that from the browser it gives the error like this "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)". can any bady just help me to rectify this problam. i am using rails 2.0.2 and mysql 5.0 versions.

Hi,

That sounds like you haven't set up your database.yml file correctly.

Simon

This is coming from MySql. You need to set up config/database.yml to match your mysql setup.

You can run mysql with no password for the root user, which is not advisable, but is often done in a DEVELOPMENT environment. It looks like your mysql setup requires a root user password.

You can remove the password, if the machine is totally under your control, I can't recall the details but a little googling should find them for you.

The other alternative is to put the root mysql password in the config/database.yml file.

The more normal setup is to create a mysql user for the Rails app, and give it access to only the databases and tables it needs. You really want to do something like this for the deployed production action.