HTML5 form field helpers

HTML5 is becoming more popular, and there's already some benefit in using HTML5 in browsers that support it, like MobileSafari, Safari, and Opera.

I've created a patch (with tests) that adds the following input tag helpers:

- email_field_tag (and email_field) - url_field_tag (etc.) - telephone_field_tag (aliased to phone_field_tag) - number_field_tag - range_field_tag - search_field_tag

The ticket/patch is available here:

https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994-ruby-on-rails/tickets/3646-html5-form-field-helpers-email_field_tag-etc

Some may feel that something like "text_field_tag 'email', nil, :type => 'email'" is good enough, but this doesn't work for "text_field" because any "type" option is overridden to "text" (this could be fixed with a smaller patch).

I do think, though, that providing helper methods like "email_field_tag" will encourage wider adoption of HTML5, and that's a good thing for everyone.

Stephen

I suggest making this smaller patch, since it fixes a bug that prevents people from specifying arbitrary types for form inputs. Next, I would make a patch that adds method_missing to form builder and allows things like anything_field, which creates an input with type=“anything”. This is might be a good future-proof solution until the HTML5 spec is finalized—what do the others think?

If in the future there's a new input type people using old versions could define their own helper as a last resort. I don't think this use case deserves a solution with method_missing. Prefer explicit methods here.

I mean, if we expected dozens of new input types it could be worth it perhaps, but...

Mislav Marohnić escreveu:

I suggest making this smaller patch, since it fixes a bug that prevents people from specifying arbitrary types for form inputs.

I've attached this additional patch to the ticket, though I still believe that the only way to encourage people to use the new spec is to provide them with more explicit helpers.

Next, I would make a patch that adds method_missing to form builder and allows things like `anything_field`, which creates an input with type="anything". This is might be a good future-proof solution until the HTML5 spec is finalized—what do the others think?

These HTML5 input types have been in the spec since at least the beginning of 2008, and like the others, I'd rather not use method_missing here.

Stephen

Next, I would make a patch that adds method_missing to form builder and allows things like `anything_field`, which creates an input with type="anything". This is might be a good future-proof solution until the HTML5 spec is finalized—what do the others think?

Additionally (and something I probably should have itemized), these aren't all blind helper methods. Both number_field_tag and range_field_tag have :min and :max attributes that can be set using a range and :in (to match the syntax of other Rails helpers).

>> number_field_tag "quantity", nil, :in => 0..10    => '<input name="quantity" id="quantity" type="number" min="0" max="10" />

Stephen

I've +1'ed the smaller options["type"] ||= field_type patch for now but I'd like to see this go farther in some way.

Look at how the spec (HTML Standard) divides inputs by "states of the type attribute". One extreme solution for Rails would be an input_field with a ton of options. The other extreme is a helper for each state.

Right now, there's not much difference between text fields and telephone, search, and email fields. The date pickers, numbers, and ranges "feel" different:

http://diveintohtml5.org/forms.html

So, a slightly more incremental change might be to introduce number and range tags.

Simply having all of these helpers around, however, is great encouragement for Rails developers and "Rails 3: HTML5 friendly" has a nice marketing ring to it.