html inside of erb

Looking to embed the html 'right guillemet' (») inside of a link_to reference in my view code...

<%= (role.rights.sort{|a, b| [a.controller, a.action] <=> [b.controller, b.action]}.collect{|rights| [link_to (rights.controller + " &raquo; " + rights.action, :controller => "rights", :action => "edit", :id => rights.id)]}).join("<br />").html_safe -%>

which results in...

<a href="/rights/edit/53">groups &amp;raquo; add_member</a><br /><a href="/rights/edit/50">groups &amp;raquo; create</a><br /><a href="/rights/edit/54">groups &amp;raquo; delete_member</a><br /><a href="/rights/edit/52">groups &amp;raquo; destroy</a>

which is not what I want obviously.

(and yes, I will probably just move this to a helper once I get it working)

Is it possible to embed HTML code inside the 'link_to' ?

Give an example of the html code.

I just did (&raquo; is the html I want embedded inside the 'link_to')

Craig

Looking to embed the html 'right guillemet' (&raquo;) inside of a link_to reference in my view code...

<%= (role.rights.sort{|a, b| [a.controller, a.action] <=> [b.controller, b.action]}.collect{|rights| [link_to (rights.controller + " &raquo; " + rights.action, :controller => "rights", :action => "edit", :id => rights.id)]}).join("<br />").html_safe -%>

which results in...

<a href="/rights/edit/53">groups &amp;raquo; add_member</a><br /><a href="/rights/edit/50">groups &amp;raquo; create</a><br /><a href="/rights/edit/54">groups &amp;raquo; delete_member</a><br /><a href="/rights/edit/52">groups &amp;raquo; destroy</a>

One way is to use "#{rights.controller} &raquo; #{rights.action}".html_safe

Colin

Looking to embed the html 'right guillemet' (&raquo;) inside of a link_to reference in my view code...

which results in...

One way is to use "#{rights.controller} &raquo; #{rights.action}".html_safe

The problem is that the “inner” string is not marked as html_safe. In your link_to tag, this string is not considered html_safe: link_to(rights.controller + " » " + rights.action, :controller => “rights”, :action => “edit”, :id => rights.id) Colin’s suggestion, which is the solution, is to mark the inner string as html_safe. The easiest way to do this is to use the #{} notation instead of string concatenation: link_to(“#{rights.controller} » #{rights.action}”.html_safe , :controller => “rights”, :action => “edit”, :id => rights.id)

The problem is that the "inner" string is not marked as html_safe. In your link_to tag, this string is not considered html_safe:

link_to(rights.controller + " &raquo; " + rights.action, :controller => "rights", :action => "edit", :id => rights.id)

Colin's suggestion, which is the solution, is to mark the inner string as html_safe. The easiest way to do this is to use the #{} notation instead of string concatenation:

link_to("#{rights.controller} &raquo; #{rights.action}".html_safe, :controller => "rights", :action => "edit", :id => rights.id)