how to use Paperclip alone with a separated attachment model

I have a scenario that my user need to upload a image first and then assign to another model, so I used a generic model, to upload the file first. But I always get a exception of ActiveRecord::UnknownAttributeError (unknown attribute: utf8). because rails automatically adds a utf-8 field for the form submit.

model: <code> class AttachedImage < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :attachable, :polymorphic => true

has_attached_file :image end </code>

migration: <code> class CreateAttachedImages < ActiveRecord::Migration   def change     create_table :attached_images do |t|

t.string :image_file_name       t.string :image_content_type       t.integer :image_file_size       t.datetime :image_updated_at       t.references :attachable, :polymorphic => true

t.timestamps     end   end end </code>

And the controller: <code> class AttachedImagesController < ApplicationController   def create

@attched_image = AttachedImage.new(params)

respond_to do |format|       if @attched_image.save         format.js       else         format.js       end     end   end end </code>

the view part: <code> <div id="upload-image-dialog">     <%= form_tag(@attached_image, :method => "POST", :remote => true, :html => { :multipart => true }) do %>       <%= file_field_tag :image %>       <%= submit_tag("submit") %>     <% end %>     <h1 style="display:none">Successfully Uploaded.</h1> </div> </code>

it's quite straight forward, but every time I submit this form, I will get an exception of the utf8 field added automatically by rails.

ActiveRecord::UnknownAttributeError (unknown attribute: utf8):   app/controllers/attached_images_controller.rb:5:in `new'   app/controllers/attached_images_controller.rb:5:in `create'

I could not understand that, this shall not be a problem right? We are writing @model = Model.new(params) everyday, hope someone could help me out and explain what's going on under the hood, thanks!

Problem is here, in this line of code:

It should be:

@attched_image = AttachedImage.new(params[:attached_image])

change in the controller

to

@attched_image = AttachedImage.new(params[:attached_image])

if above not working because of form_tag usage

then you have to use custom new like

@attched_image = AttachedImage.new(:image=>params[:image])

this should work.