how to use methods in application_controller in tests

Hi I have some protected methods in my application controller to handle logging in users and Id like to be able to use them in my tests. But whenever I try to run my tests i always get errors E.g.

NameError: undefined local variable or method `logged_in_user' for #<DashboardControllerTest:0x7f32bb483cb8>

how do i get round this. Heres some code -

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base    protected

def logged_in_user?     @logged_in_user = User.find(session[:user]) if session[:user]   end

def logged_in_user=user     if !user.nil?       session[:user] = user       @logged_in_user = user     end   end

def logged_in_user     if logged_in_user?       return @logged_in_user     end   end end

and my testfile

require 'test_helper' require 'application_controller'

class DashboardControllerTest < ActionController::TestCase   fixtures :users

test "welcome page" do     get :welcome     assert_response :success   end

test "logged in user can access dashboard" do     assert logged_in_user, users(:valid_user)     get :welcome     assert_response :success   end end

As the method is in another class the test case does not have access to it. From looking at your test case it does not appear that you are logging in a user. I would check out the test helpers in restful_authentication[1] and use login_as for example. If you which to test if a user is logged in then you will assert that that @request.session[:user] is not nil. Personally I would not do this assertion in this test as you are testing if a logged in user can access the dashboard, not if a user is logged in.

[1] http://github.com/technoweenie/restful-authentication/blob/classic/generators/authenticated/templates/authenticated_test_helper.rb