How to translate my inline form helper to form_for?

All,

In application_helper.rb, I have the following custom helper to let me generate an inline form with one button:

def inline_button(name, form_options = {}, button_options = {}, do_get=false)     output = form_tag(form_options, {:style => "display: inline;", :method => do_get ? 'get' : 'post'})     output << submit_tag(name, button_options.merge(:name => ''))     output << end_form_tag   end

Currently, this works by generating a string which is pulled into the calling view via <%= inline_button(...) %>.

How can I translate this into using form_for given that the form_for is now an ERB block and not an interpolated string.

I'm close, and I have this:

def inline_button(name, form_options = {}, button_options = {}, do_get=false)     form_for(:dummy, :url => form_options, :html => {:style => "display: inline;", :method => do_get ? 'get' : 'post'}) do       submit_tag(name, button_options.merge(:name => ''))     end   end

but not sure what I need to do next.

Or do I need to create a custom form builder instead of trying to put this inside of a helper method?

Thanks, Wes

Isn't this exactly what button_to and button_to_function do?

Possibly. I need to recheck why I did this in the first place.

The Answer:

Since form_for implicitly writes to the "_erbout" variable via the config method, the inline button method in my helper, which used to generate a string which was included in the view using <%= inline_button(...) %>, now simply takes a passed in output writer (from the view) and manipulates it directly.

Method:

def inline_button(_erbout, name, form_options = {}, button_options = {}, do_get=false)   form_for(:dummy, :url => form_options, :html => {:style => "display: inline;", :method => do_get ? 'get' : 'post'}) do     concat(submit_tag(name, button_options.merge(:name => '')), binding)   end end

A couple of things to notice:

1) The caller (a view) must call this using Ruby eval. tags, <% inline_button(_erbout, ...) %> 2) The caller (a view) must pass the _erbout variable into the helper, since both form_for() and concat() expect that variable to be in scope. 3) The parameter in inline_button _must_ be named _erbout for the same reason as #2. 4) I'm not capturing the yielded form_builder from the call to form_for because I don't need it. So it's

form_for() do     ...   end

instead of

form_for() do |f|     ...   end

Wes