how to route localhost:3000/redirect/www.google.com ?

I would like to filter all incoming pages via my local rails server, so I would like to access the web by typing a url into my browser along the lines of:

http://localhost:3000/redirect/www.google.com

I have a controller called redirect already, in it is a function called index just waiting to process the incoming url, which it hopes to find in params[:id]

Now, could some kind soul, please tell me what line to add to my config/routes.rb so that this works?

I tried reading Beginners Tutorial: Routing in Rails 2.0 (with REST) – Part 1 of n | Agile Practitioners to find out, and while I thought it was a great tutorial, it did not seem to be getting to my problem quickly enough.

Gratefully, Arun

arunmehta wrote:

I would like to filter all incoming pages via my local rails server,

Huh? What exactly are you trying to do here?

so I would like to access the web by typing a url into my browser along the lines of:

http://localhost:3000/redirect/www.google.com

I have a controller called redirect already, in it is a function called index just waiting to process the incoming url, which it hopes to find in params[:id]

Now, could some kind soul, please tell me what line to add to my config/routes.rb so that this works?

Well, let's think about this. The path is '/redirect' followed by the URL to redirect to. That means that we can express it as '/redirect/:url'.

The controller is redirect, and the action is index.

And let's give the route the name of redirect.

Put that all together and you get map.redirect '/redirect/:url', :controller => 'redirect', :action => 'index'

Does that make sense?

I tried reading Beginners Tutorial: Routing in Rails 2.0 (with REST) – Part 1 of n | Agile Practitioners to find out, and while I thought it was a great tutorial, it did not seem to be getting to my problem quickly enough.

What you actually should be reading is the Routing docs right in the Rails API docs!

Gratefully, Arun

Best,