how to find out autoincrement id ?

Hi

I need to push newly created item id to file. (ie. its autoincrement value)

I tried this on controller but it wont work, it cant find id value for the newly created item.

def create     @imitem = Imitem.new(params[:imitem])

system "echo \"@imitem.id\" > /tmp/myid"

any help ?

You have to save the record to the database to get an id, so you must use #create instead of #new or call #save after you create the object.

--Jeremy

Well I have it on create function like this but this just prints @imitem.id string to file no the real id number

respond_to do |format|

if @imitem.save         flash[:notice] = 'Imitem was successfully created.'       format.html { redirect_to(imitems_url) }         format.xml { render :xml => @imitem, :status => :created, :location => @imitem }

else         format.html { render :action => "new" }         format.xml { render :xml => @imitem.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end

KTU wrote:

Hi

I need to push newly created item id to file. (ie. its autoincrement value)

I tried this on controller but it wont work, it cant find id value for the newly created item.

any help ?

It won't assign an ID until you save it. Add a:

@imitem.save

Or change your code to:

@imitem = Imitem.create(params[:imitem])

Then @imitem.id will have a value. All new records have an id of nil.

KTU wrote:

Well I have it on create function like this but this just prints @imitem.id string to file no the real id number

Well you are just printing a string. Your @imitem.id is not being evaluated as ruby code, just raw text.

Try:

system "echo \"#{@imitem.id}\" > /tmp/myid"

The #{ ... } is a double quoted string evalulates its content as ruby, and puts the output in that spot in the string.