How to dump a variable?

I am new, coming from a PHP background.

In PHP , you can use var_dump(var) and you will be presented with all of a variables info.

Is there a way to dump in RoR? For instance, can I dump my :customers object from my controller or something?

Thanks!

In PHP , you can use var_dump(var) and you will be presented with all of a variables info.

Is there a way to dump in RoR? For instance, can I dump my :customers object from my controller or something?

There's the debut view helper that pretty much does that

Fred

There's the debut view helper that pretty much does that

That should of course be the debug helper

# in controller

logger.debug { @variable.inspect }

# in view

<%= debug(@variable) %>

trope wrote:

Thanks!

i did this.. and its working ok for me so far:

def myaction render :text myvar.inspect end

im also from a php background and am used to being able to do anything i want anywhere in the app.. in rails its a bit weird to have to .. hack out variable dumping.. but anyway i hope that helps..

Alex Pilon wrote:

def myaction render :text myvar.inspect end

im also from a php background and am used to being able to do anything i want anywhere in the app.. in rails its a bit weird to have to .. hack out variable dumping.. but anyway i hope that helps..

def myaction    raise myvar.inspect end

that trick is in the book. However, you should have many unit tests ("functional" tests) for each of your actions, so you should be able to just do this:

def myaction      pp myvar    end

then run all the tests.

In a view you can do this:

<%= debug @some_var %>

In a controller or model you can do this:

logger.info @some_var.inspect

Another alternative, where appropriate, is to use the ruby debugger and break at the appropriate point to display the object using the debugger command line. Colin

Finally, when using mongrel, you can always print to the console:

print @variable.inspect

Cheers, Sazima