how to display integer fields

How do I override Ruby's default functionality of not displaying integer database fields? I have a database table that has a client_id field that contains an integer that corresponds to the clients table id field. The database does not have a foreign key set in place. The client_id field in the table I am searching is just and INT. When I do a find(:all) on the table, only the text/varchar fields are returned in the code.

Obviously, I am a newbie to Ruby. I appreciate any down to earth help you can give me. I want the query I am doing to return the client_id field value so I can do some comparisons.

Thanks!

andrew@emergingdesigns.com wrote:

How do I override Ruby's default functionality of not displaying integer database fields? I have a database table that has a client_id field that contains an integer that corresponds to the clients table id field. The database does not have a foreign key set in place. The client_id field in the table I am searching is just and INT. When I do a find(:all) on the table, only the text/varchar fields are returned in the code.

There's no reason that it shouldn't return that column, and you should be able to access it the same as any other attribute:

your_object.client_id

Does that work?

Chris

The scaffold hides columns with the suffix '_id' by default.

There are two solutions... 1. change the name so that it doesn't contain '_id' 2. stop using the scaffold and put the appropriate calls in the views...

_Kevin