How to display div inline?

Ok, I have some div element, which should be displayed inline after AJAX call and should replace other element.

Without display:inline it works, new element is on new line, and looks like it supposed to be.

But when I add display:inline to styling, Ajax call just hides element but renders nothing.

If I add display:inline-block than all element change their size with each new, which I completely don’t like.

Any ideas how to fix that?

Barry wrote in post #1102737:

Ok, I have some div element, which should be displayed inline after AJAX call and should replace other element.

First I have to ask, If you want inline content why are you using a div and not a span? A span displays content "inline" that's its purpose for existence. Using the CSS display:inline on a div causes the div to behave just like span anyway.

Without display:inline it works, new element is on new line, and looks like it supposed to be.

This statement contradicts your fist statement, where you said the div "should be displayed inline." If the div is on a "new line" as you say, then it is NOT displayed inline.

Here is a line with a [div] displayed inline.

Here is a line with a [div] displayed as a block. (Block is the default for a <div> tag.)

Here is the sensible way to display <span>inline content</span> on a line.

But when I add display:inline to styling, Ajax call just hides element but renders nothing.

I have no idea how to help you with this without knowing what your AJAX is actually doing.

If I add display:inline-block than all element change their size with each new, which I completely don't like. Any ideas how to fix that?

display: inline-block; Makes the div (or other element) behave just like a block, using the CSS box model, but rather than displaying the div on its own line, it instead displays inline without the apparent line feeds.

See the accepted answer on this Stack Overflow question, which explains why span is the generally preferred way to display inline content:

css - SPAN vs DIV (inline-block) - Stack Overflow.

sorry, problem is solved, I just needed so set up unique id for every element I create, and than every new element has needed lenght

sorry, problem is solved, I just needed so set up unique id for every element I create

Unique id's are in the standard: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.5.2

and than every new element has needed lenght

What does this part mean?