How to create a UNIQUE table constraint with migrations.

Hi.

This must be the most obvious thing to do, but I just can't seem to find examples of how to do this. I would like to create a table with a table unique constraint on database level.

In deed some migration code that would generate the following SQL

CREATE TABLE properties (   namespace CHAR(50),   name CHAR(50),   value VARCHAR(100),   CONSTRAINT my_constraint UNIQUE (namespace, name) );

Jarl

Hi.

This must be the most obvious thing to do, but I just can't seem to find examples of how to do this. I would like to create a table with a table unique constraint on database level.

CREATE TABLE properties ( namespace CHAR(50), name CHAR(50), value VARCHAR(100), CONSTRAINT my_constraint UNIQUE (namespace, name) );

create_table :properties.....    ..... end

add_index :properties, [:namespace, :name], :unique => true

Philip Hallstrom <philip@pjkh.com> writes:

Hi.

CREATE TABLE properties ( namespace CHAR(50), name CHAR(50), value VARCHAR(100), CONSTRAINT my_constraint UNIQUE (namespace, name) );

create_table :properties.....   ..... end

After trying this and opening my interactive SQL prompt (psql), I can see that this only creates an index on the table not a table constraint. I can still put duplicate rows in the table.

Hrm. I can't... Rails 2.3.5, Postgresql 8.4.1 (on mac, but doubt that matters)

Jarl Friis wrote:

CREATE TABLE properties (

After trying this and opening my interactive SQL prompt (psql), I can see that this only creates an index on the table not a table constraint. I can still put duplicate rows in the table.

Excerpt from the PostgreSQL manual:

Robert Walker wrote:

Example:

CREATE TABLE properties (     namespace CHAR(50),     name CHAR(50),     value VARCHAR(100),   );   execute <<-SQL     ALTER TABLE products     ADD CONSTRAINT my_constraint UNIQUE (namespace, name)   SQL

Oops, I didn't notice your original post was not in migration syntax:

Better example:

def self.up     create_table :products do |t|       t.references :category     end     #add unique constraint     execute <<-SQL       ALTER TABLE products       ADD CONSTRAINT my_constraint UNIQUE (namespace, name)     SQL   end

Robert Walker wrote:

def self.up     create_table :products do |t|       t.references :category     end     #add unique constraint     execute <<-SQL       ALTER TABLE products       ADD CONSTRAINT my_constraint UNIQUE (namespace, name)     SQL   end

Ugh! Still got ahead of myself. Ignore that the table name and attributes don't match yours. You should get the idea anyway. Sorry.

Robert Walker <lists@ruby-forum.com> writes:

Jarl Friis wrote:

CREATE TABLE properties (

Excerpt from the PostgreSQL manual: ---------------------------------- PostgreSQL automatically creates a unique index when a unique constraint or a primary key is defined for a table. The index covers the columns that make up the primary key or unique columns (a multicolumn index, if appropriate), and is the mechanism that enforces the constraint. ----------------------------------

This says that an index is created whenever you create a constraint, not that a constraint is created whenever you create an index.

Nevertheless, it seem to be a fact, that whenever you create an unique index, it also craetes a constraint.

Jarl

Hi.

create_table :properties.....   ..... end

I am so sorry. I did't do exactly as you said, explanation: I used

create_table :properties do |t|   .....   t.index [:namespace, :name], :unique => true end

That does NOT create an index!!! and therefore neither a constraint!!!

I gues that is a bug in the PostgreSQL adapter.

But when I do as you describe using add_index syntax instead it will create an index (AND constraint!)

But the fact that 't.index [:namespace, :name], :unique => true' does not generate an index is a bug, right?

Thanks for all help. I appreciate the time you've spent on this.

Jarl

Hi.

create_table :properties..... ..... end

create_table :properties do |t| ..... t.index [:namespace, :name], :unique => true end

But when I do as you describe using add_index syntax instead it will create an index (AND constraint!)

But the fact that 't.index [:namespace, :name], :unique => true' does not generate an index is a bug, right?

That does indeed look like a bug. I just tried it and it doesn't work. What's strange is the source code seems to say that "t.index" simply calls "add_index" just like if I'd done it normally.

I just tried it using MySQL as the backend and it does NOT work either.

Hi.

create_table :properties..... ..... end

create_table :properties do |t| ..... t.index [:namespace, :name], :unique => true end

That does indeed look like a bug. I just tried it and it doesn't work. What's strange is the source code seems to say that "t.index" simply calls "add_index" just like if I'd done it normally.

I just tried it using MySQL as the backend and it does NOT work either.

Thanks for confirming I am not missing something.

You should submit a ticket to the Rails folks...

I just did: https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/4101-activerecordconnectionadapterstableindex-does-not-generat-indexes

Jarl