How to configure a PostgreSQL test database before testing?

My website uses PostgreSQL and its full-text search. For that to work, I need to execute some configuration queries in order to configure some full-text search extensions.

This is what I have written in a migration file to configure the development database:

class ConfigurePostgresql < ActiveRecord::Migration
  def up
    execute("CREATE EXTENSION unaccent;")
    execute("ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY unaccent (RULES='unaccent');")
    execute("CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION es ( COPY = spanish );")
    execute("ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION es
      ALTER MAPPING FOR hword, hword_part, word
      WITH unaccent, spanish_stem;")
  end
end

This works perfectly in develpment.

Now I want to run some search tests, but when I execute my functional tests, I get an error saying that the extension is not configured:

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: PG::Error: ERROR:  function unaccent(text) does not exist

Why is not it creating the extension? I have executed rake db:test:prepare

I have noticed that those execute lines are not included in my schema.rb. When I copy them inside the schema.rb, then all tests run correctly. Is there some way to make this work well without having to copy the executes everytime I make a migration?

My website uses PostgreSQL and its full-text search. For that to work, I need to execute some configuration queries in order to configure some full-text search extensions.

This is what I have written in a migration file to configure the development database:

class ConfigurePostgresql < ActiveRecord::Migration

def up
    execute("CREATE EXTENSION unaccent;")

execute("ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY unaccent (RULES='unaccent');")

execute("CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION es ( COPY = spanish );")

execute("ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION es
      ALTER MAPPING FOR hword, hword_part, word

WITH unaccent, spanish_stem;")
  end

end

This works perfectly in develpment.

Now I want to run some search tests, but when I execute my functional tests, I get an error saying that the extension is not configured:

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: PG::Error: ERROR:  function unaccent(text) does not exist

Why is not it creating the extension? I have executed rake db:test:prepare

i think rake db:test:prepare uses schema.rb to create the test database. since you added raw sql, this is not added to schema.rb. you should use

the sql format of schema.rb. more info here http://guides.rubyonrails.org/migrations.html#schema-dumping-and-you

Thanks jim, that solved the problem.