how to call rails method from javascript method.

hi

I wanna call rails method from the javascript method.

It should be ajax call for rails method.

please help me.

read on link_to_remote

and please be more specific

radhames brito wrote:

read on link_to_remote

and please be more specific

I am more specific now.

There is one swf file. When I click on that swf file it will return user_id. And below that swf file I have to show detail of the specific users. The detail will come from database. Now the problem is that there is small javascript function which will give me the user id. So from that javascript function I wanna call rails method which will fetch data from database and show it where I want.

call the action like “/controller_name/action_name.js” this from the javascript file, if the call is ajax make your controller respond to js then the file action_name.js is really named action_name.js.rb file there do <%=render :text => user.id%>

this is what should happen, you call from the javascript “/controller_name/action_name.js”, this goes to the route and matches

map.connect /:controller/:action.:format

you see the format at the end ? rails will return the action_name.js.rb ignoring the rb part as it does with index.html.rb that file will render the text with the user id, another option is returning a json object, read a bit about it because i think json is the way to go.

radhames brito wrote:

call the action like "/controller_name/action_name.js" this from the javascript file, if the call is ajax make your controller respond to js then the file action_name.js is really named action_name.js.rb file there do <%=render :text => user.id%>

this is what should happen, you call from the javascript "/controller_name/action_name.js", this goes to the route and matches

map.connect /:controller/:action.:format

you see the format at the end ? rails will return the action_name.js.rb ignoring the rb part as it does with index.html.rb that file will render the text with the user id, another option is returning a json object, read a bit about it because i think json is the way to go.

Hi radhames brito

again diturbing you. Please give me the link for this also.

ill give you a link where there is a example done for auto completion with jquery, but everything you are saying can be done with those technicks

http://rwldesign.com/journals/1-solutions/posts/32-using-jquery-ui-autocomplete-with-rails

it shows how to make ajax call and how to respond with json