How to avoid simple race conditions with Session?

Here is the situation: - the client makes a request - it is followed by AJAX polling

The server needs to keep track of some stuff during this process.

I have been using the Session and it "mostly" works… until the user decides to open another tab in her browser and she makes a new, parallel request. In this case, the data from the two requests is merged, which leads to bugs.

This got discussed quite a bit several years back, but I could not find any recent "recommended" solution to handle this. Does it exist?

I read in this article (session - Rails - Store unique data for each open tab/window - Stack Overflow rails-store-unique-data-for-each-open-tab-window) that an option could be to prefix the URLs, but it seems quite complicated to me.

Thanks a lot! PJ

Here is the situation:

• the client makes a request

• it is followed by AJAX polling

The server needs to keep track of some stuff during this process.

I have been using the Session and it “mostly” works… until the user

decides to open another tab in her browser and she makes a new,

parallel request. In this case, the data from the two requests is

merged, which leads to bugs.

Actually it’s far more likely to be overwritten completely.

This got discussed quite a bit several years back, but I could not

find any recent “recommended” solution to handle this. Does it exist?

Personally i think this can’t be solved with the cookie store: any given request handler can’t know what might have happened to the session in another request. A long time ago i wrote a database backed session store that tried to handle this gracefully (smart_session_store). As long as the different actions were using different keys in the session it worked fine. If you need more sophisticated merging behaviour I would suggest that the session isn’t the write data store for you

Fred

Thanks a lot Fred.

I should have added: I am not using the Cookie Store, but ActionDispatch::Session::CacheStore (Dalli in my case). But I am not sure how it helps. Is there a way to tell which browser window / tab is making the request (via a unique ID)?

Thanks! PJ

And also: in this instance I don't need any data merging. I just need to make sure each "request" (HTTP + following AJAX) is using its "own" stuff. Each request from different windows / tabs is completely independent.

Why not have the Ajax generate a token of it's own and send it along? That way the browser handles it's own uniqueness and tabs are included. You then use that uniqueness to track the data in the database (or redis or whatever suites your purposes) rather than using the session ID. Of course you would also use the session + sesson id to track which unique identifiers belong to a client but yeah. The only downside is that then you also have to timeout if they don't respond after a certain period or you end up with a million identifiers you don't need.

Based on this short description, have you considered using something like WebSockets? The request-followed-by-polling sounds like an attempt to create a persistent connection the server can push data to, but using a technology intended to do just that may be less hassle…

–Matt Jones