how testing associated objects?

please help solve the problem.

poll controller:

class PollsController < ApplicationController   def index     @user = User.find(params[:user_id])     @polls = @user.polls.paginate(page: params[:page], :per_page => 10).order(title: :DESC)   end end

route:

user_polls GET /users/:user_id/polls(.:format) polls#index

polls_controller_spec.rb: RSpec.describe PollsController, type: :controller do   describe "GET #index" do     before :all do       @user = FactoryGirl.create(:user)     end

it "assign user as @user" do       get :index, user_id: @user.id       expect(assigns(:user)).to eq(@user)     end

it "assigns polls as @polls" do       get :index, user_id: @user.id       expect(assigns(:polls)).to eq([@poll])     end

it "redirects to the index view" do       get :index, user_id: @user.id       expect(response).to render_template("index")     end   end end

after run tests, i get follow error message:

kalinin@kalinin ~/rails/phs $ rspec spec/controllers/polls_controller_spec.rb .F. Failures:   1) PollsController GET #index assigns polls as @polls      Failure/Error: expect(assigns(:polls)).to eq([@poll])        expected: [nil]             got: #<ActiveRecord::AssociationRelation >        (compared using ==)        Diff:        @@ -1,2 +1,2 @@        -[nil]        +      # ./spec/controllers/polls_controller_spec.rb:16:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'

Finished in 1.23 seconds (files took 2.81 seconds to load) 3 examples, 1 failure Failed examples: rspec ./spec/controllers/polls_controller_spec.rb:14 # PollsController GET #index assigns polls as @polls

as you can see problem in test 'assigns polls as @polls'. I do not understand why array @polls is empty

please help solve the problem.

poll controller:

class PollsController < ApplicationController def index    @user = User.find(params[:user_id])    @polls = @user.polls.paginate(page: params[:page], :per_page => 10).order(title: :DESC) end end

route:

user_polls GET /users/:user_id/polls(.:format) polls#index

polls_controller_spec.rb: RSpec.describe PollsController, type: :controller do describe "GET #index" do    before :all do      @user = FactoryGirl.create(:user)    end

it "assign user as @user" do      get :index, user_id: @user.id      expect(assigns(:user)).to eq(@user)    end

it "assigns polls as @polls" do      get :index, user_id: @user.id      expect(assigns(:polls)).to eq([@poll])    end

it "redirects to the index view" do      get :index, user_id: @user.id      expect(response).to render_template("index")    end end end

after run tests, i get follow error message:

kalinin@kalinin ~/rails/phs $ rspec spec/controllers/polls_controller_spec.rb .F. Failures: 1) PollsController GET #index assigns polls as @polls     Failure/Error: expect(assigns(:polls)).to eq([@poll])       expected: [nil]            got: #<ActiveRecord::AssociationRelation >       (compared using ==)       Diff:       @@ -1,2 +1,2 @@       -[nil]       +     # ./spec/controllers/polls_controller_spec.rb:16:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'

Finished in 1.23 seconds (files took 2.81 seconds to load) 3 examples, 1 failure Failed examples: rspec ./spec/controllers/polls_controller_spec.rb:14 # PollsController GET #index assigns polls as @polls

as you can see problem in test 'assigns polls as @polls'. I do not understand why array @polls is empty

I think you need to add a factory for polls, and ensure that you assign a poll to that array before you test to see if there are any. Each test runs alone, and not in a predictable order unless you’ve disabled the test randomization feature in Rspec. Each test has a completely new and fresh look at the application, with no preconceived data to work with unless you provide it in your test, as you have done for the @user here.

Walter

Unless you accidentally removed it when posting here, you aren’t creating any Poll records. @poll is also not set to anything…

–Matt Jones

Being from India, this a question to Ruby on rails experts in India... i have some doubts regarding risk based testing? how to perform it?