How does a has_many :through association and its join model attribute interact?

I am having real difficulty getting my head around the issue of setting this attribute, units_alloc, in my join model?

My models:

class Contract < AR::Base     has_many :codelines     has_many :codes, :through => :codelines

accepts_nested_attributes_for :codes

attr_accessible :codes_attributes, :codes; :authnum,:st_date,:end_date   end

class Codeline < AR::Base     belongs_to :contract     belongs_to :code     units_alloc ...... this is the attribute I would like to set   end

class Code < AR::Base     has_many :codelines     has_many :contracts, :through => :codelines   end

The new action of my app/controllers/contracts_controller.rb

def new     @contract = Contract.new     @contract.codes.build   end

the partial for my view in app/views/contracts/_fields.html.haml

= f.fields_for :codes do |ff|       .field          = ff.label :name, "Code Name"          %br/          = ff.text_field :code_name       .field       .       .     = f.fields_for :codelines do |ff|       .field         = ff.label :name, "Units Alloc"         %br/         = ff.text_field :units_alloc

From reading Rails Guides and watching railscasts #196 and #197 and researching nested attributes on the internet I came to the understanding that the @contract.codes.build line in the new action of my app/controllers/contracts_controller.rb not only built the code object but that it also built the codelines object. If I leave my new action of my app/controllers/contracts_controller.rb as above that is exactly what happens. My codelines table is populated as follows:

id contract_id code_id units_alloc      1 1 1 .... @contract.codes.build

But if you look at my view I would actually like to set units_alloc and this line @contract.codes.build does not give me access to units_alloc since it is in the codeline model. I added @contract.codelines.build to the new action of my app/controllers/contracts_controller.rb and now the units_alloc shows in my view and I am able to set it. There is a problem though,I now have two rows in my codelines table. One resulting from the @contract.codes.build where both the code object and codeline object are built and the second row is as a result of the @contract.codelines.build. Here is what my codelines table shows:

id contract_id code_id units_alloc      1 1 1 ..@contract.codes.build      2 1 80.00 ..@contract.codelines.build

Should'nt I be able to get access to units_alloc through the first build given by @contract.codes.build, where both the code object and the codeline object is built?

Does anyone know if my understanding of this issue is correct or could you point me to a resource where all will be revealed?

Thanks for any suggestions.