How do you get simple_form to use the base class and not the subclass?

Whenever I use simple_form_for(), it has some really strange behaviour for subclasses. For example, it defaults to "my_subclasses_path" rather than "my_base_classes_path". This can be corrected with a :url => some_path, but I am experiencing other frustrating problems.

In my case, I have a User object, but also many subclasses like Admin, Director, etc. For some forms, I want to use a @user instance variable and I want the resulting params hash to look like "params[:user]"

Unfortunately, if the @user instance is of the subclass "Admin", it will be sent as "params[:admin]" instead of params[:user]. This is not what I want :frowning:

I find this above problem to be REALLY odd because the HTML form source code actually says "user[first_name]" and NOT "admin[first_name]" - but simple_form seems to want to make it params[:admin] anyway when it sends the post request.

I really wish there was an option in simple_form so we could say:

base_class => 'User'

That would handle all of these things.

How can fix my problem so that simple_form exposes the subclass as params[:user]?

Oh, and maybe my problem is not simple_form, but maybe it's Rails. I am not sure. I just know what I see :confused:

It's also really weird that when I change it to consume params[:my_user_subclass] while the server is running, and then I resubmit the form, it tries to go to params[:user] again. But if I bail out of the form, and try again, it will correctly send to params[:my_user_subclass]

This is very frustrating behaviour that I cannot even predict what the server will actually do. It seems to change when it is first loaded and then after an error occurs.

It's also really weird that when I change it to consume params[:my_user_subclass] while the server is running, and then I resubmit the form, it tries to go to params[:user] again. But if I bail out of the form, and try again, it will correctly send to params[:my_user_subclass]

Are you sure you refreshed the page after changing the view (if that is what you did) before re-submitting the form. How the data will be submitted (which params keys will be used) is entirely determined by the html on the page.

Colin

Are you sure you refreshed the page after changing the view (if that is what you did) before re-submitting the form. How the data will be submitted (which params keys will be used) is entirely determined by the html on the page.

Colin

Yes, I am positive that I refreshed the page (not new to web programming ;P)

Even further, the changes I am making are in the POST action, not the GET action - that stayed the same the whole time.

So are you saying that you changed the code in the POST action and this changed the way the params were posted *to* that action (as seen in the log file)? That seems rather odd as when the data are posted it has not yet got to your modified action.

Colin

So are you saying that you changed the code in the POST action and this changed the way the params were posted *to* that action (as seen in the log file)? That seems rather odd as when the data are posted it has not yet got to your modified action.

Yes! That is why this is so odd... because it *is* odd :wink:

It's like the params hash changes after you re-submit.

The only correction I can surmise is to use a concrete GET/POST action for each user type :frowning: This works though. Not what I want... and it obviously a smell... but it works.

I wish it were easier to do the base class thing so it worked for users of all sub classes without this much headache. In Java, you can explicitly say, "I want this to be *user*" in an annotation - and that's it. It will use User for everything if you tell it to.

Ultimately it really comes down to this:

If you do Admin.new, it will send params[:admin]. If you do User.new, it will send params[:user].

I really just want to force it to do params[:user] no matter what

:frowning:

Does anyone have a solution to this? I have tried everything I can think of.

Just imagine how awful this is for user's profiles for example... you would need to have a different edit/update action for each User subclass just to get around this issue.

There has to be a solution.

:frowning:

I have added the question on Stack Overflow:

Feel free to answer it there. There's also a lot more code and information about my problem.

I really hope we can solve this. Designing your application using common OO concepts like inheritance/polymorphism should be allowed, expected and encouraged by Rails. I really hope Rails has not decided to forgo inheritance to make their framework simpler.

I don’t use simple form, but I am successfully using something like this:

= form_for @user :as => :user do |f|

This will make sure that all fields are in the form are something like user[first_name], even when @user is really an Admin or any other descendant of User.

Hope this helps,

I have added the question on Stack Overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6103855/rails-3-model-subclasses-driving-me-crazy-please-help-with-correcting-urls-param

Feel free to answer it there. There’s also a lot more code and

information about my problem.

I really hope we can solve this. Designing your application using

common OO concepts like inheritance/polymorphism should be allowed,

expected and encouraged by Rails. I really hope Rails has not decided

to forgo inheritance to make their framework simpler.

Hi, have you tested you application without the use of simple_form? Also, have you generated a ticket with

the gem author on github?

-Conrad