How do you do this in Rails?

I have a model ("Ups") and a corresponding controller ("UpsController"). The Ups model has a link to my "channels" toble through channel_id

Everything I am going to do in the given views for Ups have to do with using those ups from a selected channel. Thus, I am putting a partial at the top of the views, with a select box to choose the channels:

<div id="uplognavlist"> <% form_for :ups, :html => {:name => 'channelsform'},:url=>{ :action =>"newchannel", :controller =>"ups"} do |f| %>     <%= f.label :channel_id %>   <%= select("channel", "channel_id", Channel.find(:all, :order => 'channel ASC', :conditions => ['deleted=0']).collect {|p| [ p.channel, p.id ]}, {:include_blank => true}) %>       <%= f.submit "Change" , :class=>'button' %> <% end %>    <%= links_for_uplog %> </div>

My question is, within my UpsController.newchannel(), how do I access the calue of the channel_id that has been selected in the form submission?

Incidentally, if you look at the erb code I put above, there is a line feed that gets inserted after the submit button, before the next section " links_for_uplog " within the div. How can I not have that?

Thanks, Janna

Hi Janna,

First, you shouldn't be calling Channel.find(:all, :order => 'channel ASC', :conditions => ['deleted=0']).collect {|p| [ p.channel, p.id ]}

I'd add a named scope to the Channel model like so:

named_scope :not_deleted, :conditions => {:deleted => false }, :order => 'channel ASC'

And then in the controller: @channels = Channel.not_deleted

Then in your view: <%= f.select :channel_id, @channels %>

The standard here would be to create the new Ups in a method called create. By using form_for on a new record rails will automatically know to post to an action called create so, unless you have a good reason not to, I'd recommend calling your controller method "create" and letting Rails behave the way it wants to.

which 'line feed' do you want to remove?

Gavin

Sorry, to answer the original question:

> My question is, within my UpsController.newchannel(), how do I access > the calue of the channel_id that has been selected in the form > submission?

When rails posts a form to an action, all of the info from the form will be included in a hash called params.

In this case the hash would contain: :ups => {:channel_id => value }

so to access it you'd use params[:ups][:channel_id]

Gavin,

Thank you. But suppose I didn't use a named scope -- in that case, how then could I refer to it in my controller? (though I will follow your advice and use the named scope, I need to know the other way also).

Also, between:

<%= f.submit "Change" , :class=>'button' %> <% end %>         <%= links_for_uplog %>

it seems a line feed occurs......the <%= links_for_uplog %> is not immediately to the right as I would like it to be (in <%= links_for_uplog %>,

the rendered html appears as (copying from firebug): <div id="uplognavlist"> <form name="channelsform" method="post" action="/ups/newchannel"> <div style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt;"> <input type="hidden" value="Ty9TBUArgAPxtLuvGL48Sg1uYbzlZWmSJL2dsWuL +YQ=" name="authenticity_token"/> </div> <label for="ups_channel_id">Channel</label> <select id="channel_channel_id" onchange="document.channelsform.submit ();" name="channel[channel_id]"> <option value=""/> <option value="1">ggriptest</option> </select> </form> <a title="Non-Automatic Change Log" style="float: right;" href="/ audits/list?update=UpLogBody">Audit</a> <a title="Add or Remove Associates" style="float: right;" href="/ups/ hotwire?update=UpLogBody">Hotwire</a> <a title="Show Uplog" style="float: right;" href="/ups/uplog? update=UpLogBody">Uplog</a> </div>

It appears that after either </select> or </form> there is some kind of a line feed in the display.

Can you please answer Me those two questions Gavin? Thank You, Janna

Try using <%- end -%> instead of <% end %> at the of the form. That should remove the line feeds and white space.

A lot of rails coders wouldn't use the named scope here. I always try to keep as much of this sort of logic in the model but you could also simply use 'find' in the controller:

@channels = Channel.all( :conditions => { :deleted => false }, :order => 'channel ASC' ).collect { |p| p.name, p.id }

also check out collection_select: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/FormOptionsHelper.html#M001910

I think this might be more appropriate for you in this instance:

<%= f.collection_select :channel_id, @channels, :id, :prompt => true %>

Hope that helps?

Gavin

damn - sorry that should be: <%= f.collection_select :channel_id, @channels, :id, :channel, :prompt => true %>

missed out the text_method param

Gavin

http://handyrailsitps.com

Gavin,

Sorry to beat the dead horse, but I still need to know how to access the channel_id given the way I initially posted the code. Can you show me that? -Janna

Okay - I'm assuming the action your form posts to is newchannel and you want to access the input from the form in that method? In which case:

@channel_id_you_want = params[:ups][:channel_id]

That should work?

Gavin

Ahh, right...that's it. God, I just couldn't get that -- ok, off to do it the right way that you showed me! -Janna.