Heroku App Sending Blank Emails with Sendgrid

I’m a Rails newbie using version 3.1.4 for my Heroku (Cedar stack) app. I’m trying to figure out why my app is sending blank emails using Sendgrid, and I haven’t had much success with their support after raising a ticket three business days ago, so I’m hoping someone here might be able to help (tried searching the net and this group for blank emails, as well as posting on Stackoverflow, too).

I’m connecting to Sendgrid OK because the emails are sending…they’re just blank (actually in hotmail the body says "This is a multi-part message in MIME format…

----." and there's a small attachment in gmail that has that same text - in Yahoo mail it's blank though).

I followed these directions (https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/sendgrid), so I have:

my initializer/mail.rb

ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
  :address        => 'smtp.sendgrid.net',
  :port           => '587',
  :authentication => :plain,
  :user_name      => ENV['SENDGRID_USERNAME'],
  :password       => ENV['SENDGRID_PASSWORD'],
  :domain         => 'heroku.com'
}
ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp

My mailer (notifier.rb), like this:

class Notifier < ActionMailer::Base

helper :application

default_url_options[:host] = “foo.com

def registration_confirmation(user)

from ‘Foo info@foo.com

@user = user

subject “Welcome to Foo, #{@user.first_name}!”

recipients “#{@user.first_name} <#{@user.email}>”

sent_on Time.now

end

a text version (registration_confirmation.text.erb and an html version registration_confirmation.html.erb).

when I check the Heroku logs, it doesn’t report any errors and it indicates both views rendered successfully. I have put the who output from the logs in this gist: https://gist.github.com/2765790

If someone could please help this newbie learn what he’s doing wrong, that would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

Hey,

I'm Swift, one of the developer evangelists over at SendGrid. Sorry that we didn't get back to you on our support channel - we get a high volume of requests and sometimes things slip through the cracks.

Your problem is that you're using a deprecated syntax for composing the email. The preferred method is to use the mail function:

def registration_confirmation(user)·       mail(:from => 'Foo <info@foo.com>',            :subject => "Welcome to Foo, #{user.first_name}!",            :to => "#{user.first_name} <#{user.email}

")

end

You can find the docs for ActionMailer here:

They're pretty extensive and definitely worth the read.

Let me know if you have any more issues!

- Swift