Helper method for models, controllers and views?

You can put stuff in lib/ and "require" it from config/environment.rb

Typically you would define methods in a module that would be mixed in when needed using "include".

Bob Showalter wrote:

There must be a place for these, but does anyone know where?

You can put stuff in lib/ and "require" it from config/environment.rb

Typically you would define methods in a module that would be mixed in when needed using "include".

Hmm, can't get this to work...

I made a file called general_helpers.rb and put it in my lib folder. It has this:

module GeneralHelpers   def hello     "hello world!"   end end

then, in one of my views, i have

include 'general_helpers'

include GeneralHelpers

<span><%= hello %></span>

And this generates an "unknown method or attribute "hello"" error.

(I already do something similar with a module called ModelExtensions, in lib/model_extensions.rb, which i require in my environment file. The methods in there can be used by models, but not views or controllers.)

Under Rails, you don't even have to require 'general_helpers' as it will be autoloaded.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Bob Showalter wrote: >> There must be a place for these, but does anyone know where? > You can put stuff in lib/ and "require" it from config/environment.rb > > Typically you would define methods in a module that would be mixed in > when needed using "include".

Hmm, can't get this to work...

I made a file called general_helpers.rb and put it in my lib folder. It has this:

module GeneralHelpers   def hello     "hello world!"   end end

then, in one of my views, i have

include 'general_helpers'

wrong syntax. include takes a module name.

<span><%= hello %></span>

You'll have to put

include GeneralHelpers

into class ApplicationHelper (in app/helpers/application_helper.rb) in order for those to be available in your views.

I think that you actually want to extend the view object with this method so do:

extend GeneralHelpers

and see if that fixes the problem. 'include' is to give instance methods to a class/module while 'extend' is to give methods to the object itself (frequently for class methods, but also on individual objects).

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Yes, you can include a module in another module.

I'm not familiar with ModelExtensions, but something like this should work (put it in your general_helpers.rb)

module ActiveRecord   class Base     include GeneralHelpers   end end

Bob Showalter wrote: >> > models? >> Btw, this might be to do with the fact that ModelExtensions is itself a >> module - can you include a module in another module? > > Yes, you can include a module in another module. > > I'm not familiar with ModelExtensions, but something like this should > work (put it in your general_helpers.rb) > > module ActiveRecord > class Base > include GeneralHelpers > end > end

That doesn't seem to work for me...let me just run through what i have now as i may have got confused somewhere.

I have a file in the lib folder called "general_helpers.rb" with

module GeneralHelpers     def hello       "hello world!"     end

end

module ActiveRecord     class Base       include GeneralHelpers     end   end

And i have a method in my Movie model that looks like this:

def hello_test     return hello   end

when i call this method on an instance of type Movie (in a view) i get

"undefined local variable or method `hello' for #<Movie:0x44c9a38>"

I tried restarting the server just in case, but it didn't help...

If you go into script/console and do this, it should work:

>> GeneralHelpers    GeneralHelpers    >> Movie.new.hello    "hello world!"

The problem is that nothing is causing general_helpers.rb to be loaded. I forced it to load by referencing the module name as the first thing.

You'll need to go ahead and add to config/environment.rb (put it at the bottom)

require 'general_helpers'