Help with ruby query!

I am using Rails 2.0.2 with mysql database

I have two tables: book and author Table book has 3 columns: id, isbn, and title Table author has 3 columns: id, name, and age

In the models I have: class Book < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :author end

class Author < ActiveRecord::Base    has_many :books end

I have author_id as the foreign key in the book's table

The user will select 'age' from a list Then I want to display names of all authors with the selected age, and also the 'title' from book's table.

In plain SQL, the query will be like this:

SELECT name, title FROM author INNER JOIN book ON author.id = book.id WHERE age = "the selected age"

How can I write this in Ruby?

Thanks Cypray

I think you can find that answer here:

Also rails.info

class Author < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :books

def author_age    Author.find :all, (:conditions => ["age = ?", params[:authors]])    end

end

What I want to do is to display all author's name base on the selected age.

please, What is wrong with my query?

because hashes are written with {} not () (and in fact you don't even
need the {} here)

Fred

Thanks a lot Mr. Fred.

Now, I am having trouble with displaying the query result on authors\show.html I am having problems referencing the returned object and getting the two columns displayed. The error is: "You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!"

I have this in my model: class Author < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :books

def author_age     @results = Author.find :all, :conditions => ["age = ?", params[:authors]]      end end

I have this on view\authors\show.html

<table border="1"> <tr> <td width="20%"><p align="center"><i><b>Author Name</b></i></td> <td width="20%"><p align="center"><i><b>Age</b></i></td> </tr>

<% @results.each do |result| %> // I am not sure if this is right!

<tr>

<td><%=h @result.name %></td> <td><%=h @result.age %></td> </tr>

</table>

What I want to do is to display the 'name' and 'age' that the query returned.

Please help! Cypray

Frederick Cheung wrote:

<tr>

<td><%=h @result.name %></td> <td><%=h @result.age %></td> </tr>

should be

<tr>

<td><%=h result.name %></td> <td><%=h result.age %></td> </tr> <% end %>

I made those changes, but I am still getting this error: "You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!"

It is pointing to the line with the loop: <% @results.each do |result|

My model look like this:

class Author < ActiveRecord::Base

has_many :books

def author_age     @results = Author.find :all, :conditions => ["age = ?", params[:authors]]      end end

I have this in view\authors\show.html

<tr> <td width="20%"><p align="center"><i><b>Author Name</b></i></td> <td width="20%"><p align="center"><i><b>Age</b></i></td> </tr>

<% @results.each do |result| %> // It is flagging this line.

<tr>

<td><%=h result.name %></td> <td><%=h result.age %></td> </tr> <% end %>

Is something wrong with the private method in the model or something else? Please help. Cypray

Thorsten Mueller wrote:

It is pointing to the line with the loop: <% @results.each do |result|

So for one reason or another @results is nil Most likely your query doesn't return any records. (btw: you better name that @authors instead of @results for readablity)

So what is in params[:authors] ? Where does this param come from and does it contain an age? After all, that's what you ask Rails to search for in @results = Author.find :all, :conditions => ["age = ?", params [:authors]]

So if for example params[:authors] would contain an authors id or name (as the name suggests) then it wouldn't find anything.

You could easily debug this with something like: @results = Author.find :all, :conditions => ["age = ?", params [:authors]] logger.info "RESULT: #{@results.size}" Then you would find the number of found records in development.log (Where btw you could see, which params where sent to your controller)

The problem could be the query because when I search for one record, it works.

In SQL, the query will be: SELECT name, age FROM authors WHERE age = 'the selected age' // the value, not the id of the selected age.

So answer the previous question:

Thorsten Mueller wrote:

So what is in params[:authors] ? Where does this param come from and does it contain an age?

You can look in your logs (Rails and/or MySQL) to see the query that's being constructed from your code, if nothing else.