Help with nested forms

When I browse to artist_new_path I do not see the fields from the user table (in this example: city). Why is this?

class User < ActiveRecord::Base   has_one :artist end

Anyone?

class Artist < ActiveRecord::Base

belongs_to :user

accepts_nested_attributes_for :user

this is backwards, artist is nested inside users but you want artist to accept nested attributes of users.

It only works the when you are accepting attributes for the child model from inside the parent.

Ok... someone suggested to use virtual attributes instead. Is this the right way to go?

Basically a registered user can sign up as an artist. Artist model has the following fields: id, user_id, band_name User model has: id, name, city_id, genre_id

In the artist registration form:

<%= form_for(@artist) do |f| %>

<ul>     <li class="clearfix">       <%= f.label :band_name %>       <%= f.text_field :band_name %>     </li>

<li class="clearfix">       <%= f.label :city_id %>       <%= f.grouped_collection_select(:city_id, Country.find(:all), :cities, :name, :id, :name, { :prompt => 'Select a city' }) %>     </li>

<li class="clearfix">       <%= f.label :genre_id %>       <%= f.collection_select :genre_id, Genre.all, :id, :name, { :prompt => 'Select a genre' } %>     </li>   </ul>

<% end %>

In my artist model, I created virtual attributes:

class Artist < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :user   has_many :medias

validates_presence_of :band_name   attr_accessible :band_name, :city_id, :genre_id

# Virtual attribute. Needed when user wants to register as an artist   def city_id

end

# Virtual attribute. Needed when user wants to register as an artist   def genre_id

end

def after_create     # Update the user fields: city_id and genre_id     self.user.update_attributes(       :city_id => self.city_id,       :genre_id => self.genre_id     )   end end

However, when I submit the form, I get:

ActiveRecord::UnknownAttributeError in ArtistsController#create unknown attribute: city_id

The error occurs in the artist controller def create method. The first line: @artist = Artist.new(params[:artist])

Am I doing this right? What is wrong?

Basically, all I am trying to do is create an artist (with band_name), and update the user model based on what values were passed (city_id, genre_id)