Help with JSONified objects from ActiveRecord

Hello guys,

I'm trying to return a custom JSON response to a client frontend. The object I'm trying to return is a User, with some associated Locale data.

So basically I need to put the User data and his Locale in a "data" property in the JSON response.

If this worked, it would be perfect: json = Hash.new json[:success] = false json[:data] = User.find(params[:id], :include => :locale) json[:success] = true render :json => json

The example above doesn't include the association in the returned data (I know that include is used so ActiveRecord won't query the DB again in case we use the locale data). What would I need to do to return the associated Locale data with the User, I would like to use the approach of using a Hash, like in the example above.

I know you can do something like this: json = User.find(params[:id]).to_json(:include => :locale)

But that stringify the record, and I don't see an easy way to put that data into a JSON property and do something like this: json = Hash.new json[:success] = false json[:data] = User.find(params[:id]).to_json(:include => :locale) json[:success] = true render :json => json

That above doesn't work, because the to_json method already put a JSON string in json[:data].

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.