Help with authlogin gem

I am puzzled over how to normalize the login value provided by the user to authlogic to validate the existence of that user. I have threaded my way through the code and tried to understand what it and the examples are trying to tell me but I am just not making the connections.

Basically I have this in the login (user_sessions_controller):

def new     @user_session = UserSession.new   end

def create     @user_session = UserSession.new(params[:user_session])     # debugger if ENV['RAILS_ENV'] == 'development'     @user_session.save do |result|       if result         flash[:notice] = "Welcome"         redirect_back_or_default account_url       else         render :action => :new       end     end   end

What I want to do is modify the input value of the login identity field before the User.find is performed. It seems that this should be possible in the User model.

Inside authlogic/session.config.rb I find this:

# Authlogic tries to validate the credentials passed to it. One part         # of validation is actually finding the user and making sure it         # exists. What method it uses the do this is up to you.

James Byrne wrote:

I am puzzled over how to normalize the login value provided by the user to authlogic to validate the existence of that user. I have threaded my way through the code and tried to understand what it and the examples are trying to tell me but I am just not making the connections.

This seems to be the place where the problem lies:

[150, 159] in /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/authlogic-1.3.7/lib/authlogic/session/base.rb    150 def credentials=(values)    151 return if values.blank? || !values.is_a?(Hash)    152 values.symbolize_keys!    153 values.each do |field, value|    154 next if value.blank? => 155 send("#{field}=", value)    156 end    157 end    158    159 # Resets everything, your errors, record, cookies, and session. Basically "logs out" a user. /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/authlogic-1.3.7/lib/authlogic/session/base.rb:155 send("#{field}=", value) (rdb:6) v l   field => "username"   value => "MYUSER"   values => {"username"=>"MYUSER", "password"=>"mypassword", "remember_me"=>"0"}

361    362 attr_reader :#{login_field}    363 => 364 def #{login_field}=(value)    365 self.authenticating_with = :password    366 @#{login_field} = value    367 end    368 /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/authlogic-1.3.7/lib/authlogic/session/base.rb:364 def #{login_field}=(value) (rdb:6) v l   value => "MYUSER"

When the Session::Base code hits line 366 then the direct assignment of the @params value of the login_field to the corresponding instance value simply bypasses the setter defined in the User model, does it not?

Given this construction I cannot see a way to invoke the model's setter method for the login field. Am I missing something?